Thursday, November 26, 2009

Always Give Thanks

Hello Optimists,

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are all enjoying the holiday! I bet you're all gearing up for the big turkey reveal, ready to dive into that pumpkin pie, feel full enough to last you until next week, and watch some football. I know that's usually how my Thanksgiving goes.

It seems that we've strayed a little from the original point of Thanksgiving. Sure, a big feast kicked off the holiday back in 1621, and it still does today, but I think the meaning behind it has gotten lost somewhere in the past 400 years. That's a pretty long time, so I guess it's easy to do. But this is a really important holiday who's meaning unfortunately gets overshadowed year after year by rather insignificant things. Most people still take the time to sit around the dinner table and talk about what they're thankful for, which is great!, but I think we should be talking about this not only at Thanksgiving, but every day.

I thought today I would feature a quote that reminds us just how important giving thanks is. It doesn't matter whether it's given for a small favor or a big help, to a stranger or to a member of your family, gratitude is something that needs to be expressed.

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." -William Arthur Ward 


I couldn't have said it better myself! Expressing your gratitude is something that is always appreciated, always makes another person feel good, and can never be over-done. We need to express our gratitude for even the smallest things in life and be appreciative of not only everything we have, but everyone who has helped us get to where we are. So while I think it is great that we have a whole day set aside for the purpose of giving thanks, I think we need to make an effort to celebrate and share the things we are thankful for each and every day.

So today, enjoy your turkey and pie with family and friends, and make a promise to express your gratitude not only this one time a year, but every day!

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!