Thursday, November 19, 2009

Change or Change?

Hello Optimists,

Imagine this: Today someone offers you a new job in another state. It's with a great company, the new location sounds great, you have some old friends in that area, and the salary is comparable with what you earn now. Would you take it?

Now imagine this: Today someone offers you a new job in another state. It's with a great company, the new location sounds great, you have some old friends in that area, and they offer you double the salary you are currently earning plus a yearly bonus. Would you take it?

Now I'm guessing that after considering the first option, you weren't completely sold on the idea of moving to another state for a new job. I hear ya..."I don't want to uproot my life right now, I already have so much invested in my current lifestyle, I won't know many people, my job is pretty good...." All perfectly valid reasons. But after reading the second situation, I bet you were a little more open to the idea of relocating. I hear ya..."Well, it does sound like a great place to live, it won't be too hard to make new friends and in fact, it might be refreshing. I think I'm ready for a new job, this one isn't that great anyway..."

It's sad but true: Money a motivating factor in our lives. When I read today's quote, it made perfect sense and I think this type of thinking is true of nearly everyone.

"Most people won't accept the change that can't jingle in their pockets"


Are you one of these people? Probably. In fact, I think I might be. It's definitely true that people would make a major decision that they may not have otherwise even considered based solely on the fact that this would bring them more money. People generally are not open to big changes in life, but offer them some money, and suddenly it's an absolutely brilliant idea. We start convincing ourselves that it's something we have always wanted to do, something that could better our character, be a real life changer. But behind all of that, we just really want the money.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, and not everyone thinks this way, but money gets people to do great things that they might otherwise have been too lazy to do. It's the reason we have the best doctors and medical researchers in the world; they do their job and strive to be the best because they know they can make the Big Bucks. And thank goodness for that. But we need to be more open to little changes in life that can make just as much of a difference, even if it doesn't reel in a huge paycheck.

So next time you're faced with a new decision that could change things up a bit, ask yourself whether money is the motivating factor or if you would consider it regardless of how much extra change you could be carrying around...the answer might surprise you.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!