Thursday, November 5, 2009

Creatures of Habit

Hello Optimists,


I must admit: I am a creature of habit. And I'm sure many of you are too. I think it's a common trait among us all...we just can't help it. Routine makes things easy- we know what to do, when to do it, and how to get it done. You know what I' talking about- you know it well. We wake up in the morning and our "routine" gets us ready for work, we go through our day performing the same things over and over again, until it's time to go home. And when we get there, it's pretty much the same every night, with of course, the exception of a random trip to the grocery store or going out with some friends on the weekend...but overall, we tend to do the same things.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with routine. It's like a security blanket for us. We do things repeatedly because we are confident that it will give us the best results, we know we've done it before and it works every time. It is an extremely efficient way of getting things done. This is the reason Henry Ford invented the assembly line and the reason manufacturers replaced factory workers with machines...it got the job done quickly and efficiently through repeated action. To some, this was a great invention while some detested it because it reduced the human labor force. But wait a minute, we're not machines. We should be doing something that requires actual brain power. Maybe Henry Ford was doing us all a favor: maybe he thought "Let's give the workers something better to do, something that requires skill, creativity and knowledge, and let's keep that boring, mundane work for the machines." Or maybe he just wanted to make more money. Either way, we should be happy because this opened up new opportunities to show our skill.

Ok, so you may not totally agree with that. But back to routine. I'll be the first to attest that if someone or something throws off my routine, I'm all messed up. Seriously, if I don't wake up, make my bed, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, shower, get dressed, and read the news online in precisely that order, there's no way my day is going to feel right. Why?? It's really kind of funny when you think about it. I think this type of routine is ok, but if it carries into every single aspect of our lives, that's not ok. That's why today's quote really struck a chord with me and made me realize that we all could be missing out on new opportunities and experiences....


"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten"     

I couldn't have said it better. If we want to achieve something great or do something new, we can't just sit around and wait for luck to slap us in the face, we have to make it happen. So maybe today I'll read the news online, shower, then eat breakfast, and see how my day goes from there. Who knows, I may discover something new! Try it out..and let me know how it goes.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!