Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Healthy Alternative to Pumpkin Pie

Hello Optimists,

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and we all know what that means: great food. I've been thinking about it so much lately, and I can't stop my mouth from watering when I think about all the fabulous desserts that I shouldn't be eating (but I will be).  Apple pie, pumpkin pie, cookies, ice cream......ohhh I should really stop.

Speaking of pie, I was thinking today about how much we can all benefit from eating a piece of pie that has less fat, fewer calories, and won't leave us feeling like we need to be rolled away from the dinner table. As far as the taste, well....nothing can really compare to the originals, but this should do the trick. So what kind of pie am I talking about exactly? You guessed it...humble pie.

I came across this quote and realized we can all use a good piece of humble pie, not only during Thanksgiving, but all throughout the year. Here's the recipe:


"It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help."
       -Judith Martin    

So this Judith Martin really knows what she's talking about. I had never heard of her, but a simple Google search revealed that she is a journalist, author and etiquette authority better known as 'Miss Manners'. I guess that adds a bit of credibility to her statement. Etiquette authority or not, this statement is completely true. There's nothing worse than bragging, especially when it's about yourself. It really is far more impressive when people discover your good qualities without hearing it from you first. It adds an element of surprise and admiration to the relationship and leaves that person eager to know more.

Think about it: if you learned something great about your seemingly "average" friend, wouldn't it wow you, make you admire them, make you want to do something just as great, and make you value your friendship with them even more? Now think about if this same friend had been running their mouth for the past half hour about their newest achievement and how great they were for it, how much people wanted to be like them, blah blah blah. See? I'm already annoyed and this is a purely hypothetical situation. There's nothing wrong with being proud of something you've done or accomplished and sharing it with friends, but remember that if it really is a great thing, people will eventually find out and you will get recognition for it.

So today (and in two weeks) lay off the pumpkin pie and dive into a piece of humble pie. I guarantee people will respect you more and find value in the relationships you build, not to mention it'll save you a boatload of calories. And if, in the process, you keep off a few of those unwanted pounds, I guess I can take credit for that too.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!