Monday, November 9, 2009

How to Climb Mt. Everest


Hello Optimists,



I hope you had a wonderful weekend and soaked up all of the sunshine...what great weather for November! All I wanted to do was sit in the grass and watch the clouds float by. I had visions of summer; sipping lemonade by the pool, having picnics with friends, going on long bike rides...it was great! Then I remembered the winter holiday season is right around the corner, and snow would soon be falling. Oh well, it was nice to dream.


Then I realized I needed to snap out of it..I had things to do! Ah,  how nice it would be to lounge around all day, have time to do whatever we wanted. Yeah, they say that's "the life". Now I know not all of us would like a lifestyle like that, but I guarantee we've all fantasized about it at least once or twice. I know I have. But having nothing to do, nothing to get accomplished, no goals set for the future- where would that get us?


I think I would enjoy that lax lifestyle for, oh, about a week or so. Then for sure I'd be bored. Why, you ask? I like the fact that I am constantly working toward something, whether it be long term or short term. But I think people get intimidated when faced with certain things in life, which is completely understandable. It's like an internal battle of your confidence, your motivation, your will to succeed. You know, when the little angel version of yourself is on one shoulder and the devil version is on the other. It's a constant battle, and the only way we lose is if we give in to the challenge before us. It's really easy to give in and take the easy route out. That's why we should all remember this little verse the next time we're faced with a challenge:


The steeper the mountain, the harder the climb, the better the view from the finishing line   


The challenges and obstacles we face everyday may seem like they can never be achieved. But you know there's a part inside of all of us that holds the power to do whatever it is we want. Finding that place is the hard part.


 This verse makes a lot of sense: What seems like an insurmountable task will certainly challenge us physically, mentally, even emotionally, but once we've conquered it, it leaves a great sense of pride when we can look back and see what a great thing we have accomplished. Knowing that all your hard work will pay off in the end and that the outcome of a task is well worth it definitely helps to get the job done. But it's times when we're a little too scared to take that chance, to push ourselves just a little bit harder, that we need to look at the bigger picture and think about how great that view will be from the finishing line.

Of course, we need to start out small. We can't wake up one morning and expect to climb Mt. Everest, but setting your sights on it is not a bad idea, because eventually, you can get there. Whatever it is that challenges you, whether it be baking a cake or working to reduce your firm's corporate expenses by 50%, remember that it is not impossible. It may be a daunting task, and it will certainly take some hard work to get it done, but the feeling of pride and accomplishment that fills you up will certainly make it all worth it. So face your challenges head on today- and I promise that when you're finished, you'll be happy you did.


Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!