Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Know-it-All

Hello Optimists,

Have you ever been teased for being a "know-it-all"? Or, possibly even worse,  have you ever been the teaser? Well, regardless of which category you fall into, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess there is a difference between thinking you're a know-it-all and actually knowing it all, of which the latter is much more appealing. Anyway, I was thinking today about people who might actually be a true know-it-all. And while this is obviously just my opinion, one person quickly came to mind. It might just be because I have a collection of his quotes-which are some of my ultimate favorites- that seem to explain life in a whole new way, inspiring those who read his words to be a better person in the world.

The person I thought of was Ghandi. Now, religious affiliations aside, you have to admit that he was a great man. He set the example of what he wanted others to do, he started movements for freedom and civil rights, he devoted his life to speaking the truth and helping others to do the same....and the list goes on. He made a huge impact not only on his nation, but on the world. Now whether or not he actually "knew it all" is questionable and up for debate, but we have to acknowledge the profound positive impact he had on the world.

I picked today's quote because I thought it was perfect for teaching us to live to our fullest potential. The words that Ghandi spoke are truly inspirational, and I am sure this is just one of his many quotes I will feature. So let's take a second to soak in one of his great quotes....

"Live as if you die tomorrow. Learn as if you live forever." -Ghandi


Just reading it makes you feel alive, doesn't it? Not to mention that it's really great advice. Live as if you die tomorrow gives us the courage to appreciate what life has to offer, leaving nothing taken for granted. We have to live each day to the fullest, leaving no room for regret. Learn as if you live forever gives us the motivation to soak up all we can and take pride in building our knowledge of the world around us. It is never too late to learn something new and we need to remember to never give up the opportunity to move out of our comfort zone in order to achieve great things.

Now this doesn't mean to schedule a skydiving appointment and buy a new edition of encyclopedias for some light reading all before midnight. But what it does mean is to enjoy life each day and learn something from your experiences. I think Ghandi's life serves as a pretty good example of this, and while some of his demonstrations we quite extreme, we can apply his words to our own lives and situations. His words are truly inspiring and I hope you can appreciate them as much as I do.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!