Monday, November 30, 2009

Meet Me in The Poop Deck

Hello Optimists,

How great would it be to just cruise right through life- no worries, no decisions, no "bumps in the road"...just a nice, easy, care-free life. Sounds pretty good, huh? I often think about what it would be like if my life were like that. But I can't really see how that would even be possible for not only my life, but for anyone's. I mean, no matter how great someone "has it", it's guaranteed they still face a lot of hard decisions and have a lot of obstacles to overcome.

I am a strong proponent of the "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" attitude and I think we should all try to think this way when we're faced with some pretty tough times. This way of thinking is, for one thing, a really optimistic point of view and immediately puts our minds on a positive track. Second, it kind of allows us to acknowledge the fact that difficulties will come our way, but we can and will come out a better person for facing it head on. The idea of that care-free life we all think would be great is made perfectly invalid with today's quote:

Smooth seas do not make for a skillful sailor.  -African Proverb


So true! We are all going to face a lot of rough seas in our life and those storms are what allow us to become better, stronger, more skilled people. What can we learn from a life of smooth seas? Not too much. But facing some rough waters, though they are hard to get through (and sometimes make us sea sick) they release us back into the calm waters a better person than before. Our life experiences and trying times are the things that help further define ourselves and our meaning in life. So while we may not want to face an impossible decision or a really rough time, try to remember today's message and be confident that you can only come out of the situation better than you entered. Grab your rain boots and meet me in the poop deck...we have to be on the look out for today's storm.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!