Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We're All Track Stars

Hello Optimists,

I consider myself an athlete. Throughout my lifetime, up until these last three years, my world revolved around sports. It didn't matter the season, I was always out playing as part of a team. Now looking back, it's amazing to see how much I have learned just by being so involved over the years. I didn't realize it at the time, but I really was learning amazing life lessons as I progressed through my athletic career. I understand the value of teammates...there are only a handful of sports that one can win all by themselves- I learned to rely on my teammates to help with the win. I learned that if I work hard in practice, things will be easier during the game. I learned to listen to and respect my coaches and the opinions of other players. Honestly, the list goes on. I am so happy I was able to participate in such great activities when I had the chance...

However, there's one sport that I always wish I had the time to fit into to my schedule: track and field. And as I was thinking about some of the things I could have learned from this sport, I remembered this quote and thought it would be perfect for today's post.

Life's problems wouldn't be called "hurdles" if there wasn't a way to get over them.


Ok, so maybe I've never run the hurdles in a race before. But I've certainly encountered them in life- I think we all have. Regardless of whether we're track stars or not, we all learn how to jump over hurdles. What we know to be true is that there is always a way to get over them. Even if our foot gets caught up on one on the way over, we still make it through and continue on to the finish line. Sure, it may add to our time a little, but it doesn't stop us from reaching our goal. Some hurdles are higher than others; it's meant to test our skill. This is the same deal in everyday life. We don't just graze through each day without facing any obstacles; new kinds of hurdles are thrown at us all the time. But somehow, we manage to get over them.

It's not about being able to run the fastest, it's about being able to clear each hurdle with the least fault. If you can manage to do this, I bet you'll be the first across the finish line. Each problem we face can be overcome, but some may take more time or hard work than others. What's important is not to give up because we can get over them.

So challenge your friends to a race today. It doesn't really matter who wins, but make sure that everyone crosses that finish line. And remember, the more you practice, the easier it gets during the game.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!