Monday, November 23, 2009

You've Got Some 'Splaining To Do

Hello Optimists,

I caught an episode of "I Love Lucy" recently and remembered how much I really do love Lucy. I don't think there is anyone out there who hasn't seen an episode or who can't resist watching a few minutes of the show as they flip through the channels. There's just something about that show that pulls us all in. An outrageously funny cast, the simple television humor of the 50's, and the absurd situations Lucy always found herself in continue to make people around the world laugh...and it's the hardy belly laugh too.

Remember when Ethel and Lucy got a job at the candy factory? Or how about Vitametavegamin? Or when Little Ricky became part of the show? These unforgettable moments are reminders of just how much of an impact this show had on viewers- and still does today as it is probably one of the longest running syndicated shows on TV. It doesn't matter if I've seen the episode a hundred times or never before, I still laugh until I cry.

The last time I caught an episode I remembered a quote that I had read by Lucille Ball (not the character, but the person), and found it to be quite insightful. It's odd to think of her outside of comedic, trouble making character, but if you read a little about her life it is quite a story. I thought I'd share today's quote because I think what she had to say is really important for us all to remember.

"I would rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not."


This seems like something she would say. She seems like the type of person who was a go-getter, one who wanted to try new things and was not afraid to fail. And I think we can really learn something from this crazy redhead. We need to go out and try things in order to learn to be better, in order to give ourselves the chance for new opportunities. Lucy understood this well and lived her life trying new things and never looking back. I really couldn't agree with her statement more. I find that in most cases, the regret of not doing something is far worse than the regret of actually doing it.

If we try something new and it doesn't work out too well, then at least we know we gave it a shot and we can cross it off our "to do" list. But if we don't even give things a try, how can we ever be sure that that one decision couldn't have changed our lives for the better? And that constant feeling of 'what if' is something that can drive you absolutely insane. So take it from Lucy, even if it means that later you might have some 'splaining to do.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!