Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Big Shot



Hello Optimists,

Imagine this guy who has a great high-paying job, who drives a fancy car, has an apartment in NYC and a home in Florida, wears thousand dollar suits and has the casual, yet smug attitude that usually goes along with these things. He strides through the halls of the office like he owns the place, because well... he does. It seems like he's really doing well for himself.... so how'd he get to be such a big shot anyway? And where do I sign up?

It's pretty interesting to learn about how the "big deals" became the "big deals". Did you ever watch those biography specials on CNBC or MSNBC, or even the Forbes List on E!, that highlight the rise of some of today's most successful people? Some of course were lucky enough to be born into an already wealthy, business-minded family whose fortune would be handed down through lineage. Others, however, literally rose from nothing...just had enough drive and enough guts to really reach for the top- and they made it. So you mean to tell me these super successful people were once just a nobody, just an average person like me? Well, in fact, they were. At least they give us some hope.

This leads me to today's quote which I came across, quite ironically, as I was thinking about this very subject...

The difference between a big shot and a little shot is that a big shot's just a little shot that kept on shooting. -Zig Ziglar


This really allowed me to see that we all have it in us to be the "big shot". We just need to dig down deep enough to find the courage, the will, the determination, to keep on shooting. Like we always hear in Mark Twain's famous quote, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. (And look at that, you got a two-for deal on today's post!) But anyway, I really like this quote, and I am definitely going to keep this stored upstairs for those times when I feel like I might not ever be joining the Big Boys- and I hope you will too.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!