Monday, December 14, 2009

The Ideal Job

Hello Optimists,

I've been thinking lately about the "perfect" job...which to some, that phrase might seem like an oxymoron. I've probably read through a million (ok, maybe not a million) job descriptions lately, and in each one, there was at least one thing that made me put an X through that listing.
 #1. "Competitive starting salary" Check. "Relocation assistance may be available" Check. "Expected weekly travel: at least 75%" Ugh, X! 
#2. "On-site parking" Check. "Opportunity for quick advancement" Check. "Must be available for all weekends and evenings" Umm, no. X!

So this got me thinking: Am I being too picky? What would be the perfect job description? What would make me send in my resume without any second thought? By chance, I came across today's quote as I was still thinking about the answer to these questions. Though technically this isn't a real job, the description of this position offered the perfect combination of benefits and future plans that made me want this title on my business card.

Optimists enrich the present, enhance the future, challenge the improbable and attain the impossible.
 -William Arthur Ward


Ok, so I don't think I'll find anywhere to send in my resume for the new "Optimist" opening, but isn't this just the best description ever? Who wouldn't want to be able to do all of those things? All I know is that if any job description read like this, we'd all be giving our employer our 2 weeks notice. But the best part about this is that anyone can qualify, everyone has access to what it takes to be an optimist, and it's definitely always in demand. It doesn't matter what school you went to or whether or not you have 5+ years experience in the field, we can all apply. It's all a state of mindSo I hope that you realize what great benefits the "occupation" of optimist offers, and that you take advantage of your ability to develop your skills. Read through the listing again, and think about how much greater your life will be...and you won't even have to sit through an interview.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. yayyy I'm an optimist too! and currently looking into jobs too - it's hard isn't it, trying to find the balance between good pay and good work! xxx

    I'm following you - follow me too! :) <3

    www.urbanoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!