Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It All Starts Upstairs



Hello Optimists,

Sometimes I think about where life is going to take me- and if I have the power to change that or if my course of action is already planned out. Do things like our hometown, class status, college education, or upbringing have an effect on where we end up in life...or do we have the power to change where we're headed at any time? It's crazy because we define ourselves - "who we are"-  in terms of our profession, our alma mater, or sometimes even our family name. But behind all of that stuff, who are we really?

I know it seems a little crazy, but I often think about the little things that are a part of my life now that may be making an impact on the direction of my future, even if I am unaware of it at the moment. What is it exactly that makes me "me", and how easy is it to change what defines me? When I read today's quote, it reminded me that I am not who I am because of the university I attend, or the profession that will be under my name on a business card, or the kind of car I drive....

You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind. -Zig Ziglar


So after reading this I realized that we are able to change our paths at any time, we just need to change our way of thinking. We can change what we are not by getting a new job title or a new wardrobe (though I'm always up for some shopping!), but by changing the way we think and consequently, the way we act. If you aren't happy with where you are in life, or who you've made yourself out to be, it is possible to change...but you first need to start with changing your thoughts. Being an optimist, I find that making the choice to think positively helps me find the direction in which I want to head. I don't know if that'll work for you, but I think it's worth a shot...but remember that it all starts upstairs.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!