Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Listen to the Silence

Hello Optimists,

Have you ever been listening to someone talk only to realize that, after almost an hour of this chatter, that they haven't really said anything? I see this all too often...people just talk to talk. I, on the other hand, consider myself to be a person of few words. I don't just talk to fill the void because I don't find anything wrong with silence. Sometimes it's actually quite refreshing. So, of course, I'm known as "the quiet one" or "very shy"...whatever. That's not really true, but it's not worth it to argue the point. Maybe it's just how I was raised or just my personality, but filling the air with words just for the sake of filling the air with words just doesn't do it for me. If I have something to say or something to contribute to a conversation, I'll share it. And if not...well then, I won't say anything. I've been told that I don't say much- but that when I do, it's either really important or really funny. And ya know, I kind of like it that way.

I guess people just feel like they need to say something, all the time. It's like it's the worst thing in the world if there's a lull in conversation, it's that "awkward silence" people just can't get over. I will admit that real "awkward silence" is sometimes a bit unnerving, but I think we'd all be surprised if we took a minute to stop talking about nothing and just listen to what the silence is telling us. We need to stop making noise and listen to what's going on around us. We live in an overly-articulated, highly verbalized world, where it's seemingly unnatural to just take in what's... well, natural.

Today's quotes is one of my ultimate favorites simply because it reminds us that if we take a step back once in a while, take a deep breath, and just be, we might be surprised to notice how wonderful it really is.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.


I try to do this every day, and I think you should too. We can't avoid the noise and chaos of the events in our life, but we can always find a minute to step back from them and take in the silence. It's amazing how much more you'll hear when you listen to nothing - and even if you find that silence for just a minute, I hope it brings you peace.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. Terrific post! I probably talk too often and too soon into the silence. Thank you for the reminder to be quiet more often.

    Thank you too for adding your post to my Serenity Library.

    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!