Friday, December 18, 2009

What "Grinds My Gears"



Hello Optimists,

Any fans of Family Guy out there? I know I am- that show never ceases to amaze me. Honestly, I don't even know how the creators are allowed to have the characters say half of the things that air on that show, but it's just hysterical. The crude humor and inappropriate jokes that are just wrong hit us in an unexpected way and squeeze a laugh out of the most conservative of viewers. Though Stewie is hands down my favorite character, one of my favorite episodes features Peter and his news-cast segment of "What Really Grinds My Gears" where he rants about all of the things that annoy him. The things he picks to include in his segment are pretty ridiculous and random...which pretty much sums up the whole plot of the show. But everyone must have a different take on what "grinds their gears"...and that got me thinking about what grinds mine.

I don't know about you, but one thing that really grinds my gears is arrogance. A lot of people give arrogance a right of passage in exchange for confidence..which is definitely not right. Arrogance is defined as: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. Confidence is defined as: a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's abilities or qualities. See? Very different, yet apparently easily confused. People who are good at what they do like to display that fact. And while there's nothing wrong with acknowledging your accomplishments, which we all definitely should, we walk a fine line between showing pride in our work and displaying a pompous and haughty attitude. Finding the balance between these two elements is key, and when I came across today's quote, it seemed to find that balance perfectly.

Always hold your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level. -Max L. Forman


This is quite possibly the best explanation I could have found. It's a good thing to exude confidence; employers pick up on it, teachers like it, friends admire it. But walking around with your nose in the air immediately changes that admiration to distaste. This only makes someone appear as condescending and superior to everyone around them, even if this is not the case. And no one wants to be friends with a person like this. So please, don't grind my gears, and keep this quote in mind...

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!