Friday, December 4, 2009

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid"

Hello Optimists,

'Tis the season for the question "What do you want for Christmas?" and I think I'm past the point of response of "My two front teeth" and I know better than to ask for a BB gun, because as everyone knows, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid". I'm even past the point of wanting a million toys and dolls and games...in fact, my list has really dwindled. That's not to say I've lost my Christmas spirit. I haven't, not at all. I am just really getting to the point of enjoying the holidays for other reasons than what lies beneath our Christmas tree. I really do appreciate being with my friends and family, and I have found that the joy of the season really comes from these special moments.

But I don't think there's anyone out there who doesn't like getting gifts. Come on now, you know you love it. There's just something great about tearing through that paper and ripping open the box to find a special little gift someone was thoughtful enough to get you. But, in order for it to be the perfect gift, it has to have some meaning behind it. For me, the perfect gift to give is..(drumroll, please)... a book. Okayyyyy, so maybe that makes me sound like huge dork, but stay with me here.

Think about it: there are millions of books out there and every one can be a perfect gift for someone you love. It doesn't matter the person's interest, beliefs, or hobbies...there's a book out there for everyone. It's an easy way to for you to spread love, fun stories, advice, or spark a new interest in your friends- but no matter what it does, it represents your special relationship with that person and is a gift that has real meaning. Books are now pretty much the only things on my "list" to give or to get and Amazon has become my new best friend. Today's quote comes from one of my favorite books, Eat Pray Love:

You were given life. It is your duty, and also your entitlement as a human being, to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight. 


And that's just one line. Imagine how good the whole book is! It should be our goal everyday to find something beautiful within life, and believe me, we are given the opportunity to do just that probably a hundred times a day. It could be anything that makes you smile, makes others smile, or that just makes you feel alive. It is our job to acknowledge these great things in life and stop taking things for granted. This is such a great quote from an incredibly great book- a book that really inspired me to dig to find something deeper in life. Now this is a book to give someone (and to put on your list too!). I've put the Amazon listing of some of my favorites to share with you... so as you're writing to Santa, be sure to include some of those titles. And if your letter is already en-route to the North Pole, they make a great "To: Me, From: Me" gift too, I promise.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!