Thursday, January 7, 2010

BFF's



Hello Optimists,

One thing I love to do in my free time is look through old pictures. Luckily I have been on a bit of a break because of the holiday so I've had the chance to do just that, though I realize my vacation is quickly coming to a close. Anyway, I was looking through some photos today from when I was younger- birthday parties, baseball games, pool parties, high school dances....it was really great to relive some of those fun memories. It was also kind of weird for me because in some of the pictures, I was surrounded with those people that, at the time, I considered my best friends. And then I realized I haven't even spoken with some of those people in years. Well, I guess these things happen...people sometimes just go their separate ways. But, there are some people in those pictures that I haven't lost touch with.

This got me thinking about which of my "friends" are really my friends, not just acquaintances...my BFF's. Some I have known for my entire life, some for half of my life, and some, for just a few years now. But I have realized that while I can count all of these people on only one of my hands, the great memories we have shared together take up all of my fingers, toes and more. I think it's great for all of us to take a stroll down memory lane and think about all of the great times we've had throughout the years, and take note of the special people that have been there for all of them. Friends may come and go, but best friends are in our lives forever. Even if you're out of touch for a little while, you know that when you see each other again or finally catch up on the phone, you can pick up the conversation right where it left off.

Today's quote really put to words how I was feeling as I thought about so many special times in my life and the people that were there to share them with me....

A friend is someone with whom you are comfortable, to whom you are loyal, through whom you are blessed, and for whom you are grateful. -William Arthur Ward


This really is the greatest description of a best friend one could find, and I definitely feel this way about all of my best friends forever. Now it doesn't matter if you've only got one friend who fits this description...in cases like these sometimes quality is better than quantity. But whether you have only one of these friends or ten, always be grateful and appreciative of the special bond you share. So take a moment today to think about all of our best friends and give them a call or stop by to catch up...I bet it won't be long before you start reliving some of your greatest memories together.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!