Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Biggest Loser?



Hello Optimists,

Did you watch the premier of the new season of The Biggest Loser last night? Well, I did...I've always been a fan of the show and I think we can all learn a lot from it- whether we're 800 lbs. or 100 lbs. It's all about making a change in your lifestyle for the better; to be stronger, healthier, and more physically and mentally fit. It's kind of unfortunate, though, that the winner is crowned The Biggest Loser. I mean, I get it...the biggest loser of weight, but really, no one likes to be called a loser.

So this got me thinking about being a loser. And I really don't like it. I always hated losing games, bets, my keys, my marbles....it's all just no fun. Losing stinks! But what's worse than being a loser is being a sore loser. And you know, it's pretty hard not to be. I think we've got a natural inclination to envy those that have defeated us, somehow formulating years worth of anger against the person or group that came out on top, wishing they'd get their picture taken for the newspaper with some spinach in their teeth or something. But we really shouldn't be like this. We should be able to put our sore feelings under the rug, acknowledge our defeat, and let the winner be recognized for the accomplishment...but few of us are "man enough" to do that. Well today's quote reminded me how to act in the event that I do lose, which I am hoping I don't have to put into use very often. Nevertheless, here it is....

Always imitate the behavior of the winners when you lose. -George Meredith


Well, I wouldn't exactly imitate it, but you should be in good spirits. Recognize that you gave it your best shot and that the competition was fierce (after all, they did beat you, right?) and know that through the loss, you have definitely learned a few things and will be ready to come back stronger next time. So, even though being The Biggest Loser on TV is quite an accomplishment, I think I'll stick to trying to be the biggest winner....and if that doesn't work out, at least I'll know how to act.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!