Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bucket List Revival



Hello Optimists,

Remember the movie The Bucket List? You know, with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson...yeah, that movie about accomplishing everything you wanted to do before you die. It was a very inspirational (though sad) movie, but I thought it told a wonderful tale of two very different men on a mission to live life to the fullest. It was on TV recently, and though I've seen it quite a few times, I can never refuse it. So this got me to thinking about how many other people it might have inspired or moved in a way to make every day count, to live in the moment, and not to hold back. I know I made a bucket list after watching....did you?

Well, I think the movement caught on. There's a new reality show on MTV called The Buried Life that follows the same premise: 4 guys are on a mission to complete everything on their "bucket list", and each time they can scratch something off of their list, they help a stranger complete something on theirs. I've only seen a little bit of one episode, and while some of the things they're doing to compete their goals are a little outrageous, I think that what they're doing in return through volunteering and helping others is great. So I thought in light of the revival of this movie, I would feature a quote spoken by Morgan Freeman's character that holds a lot of weight...

We hold the power and bare the responsibility. -The Bucket List


I told you it was a pretty heavy one. But it's absolutely true and can be applied to a lot of different situations. It's almost like a fill in the blank kind of statement...like when I first heard it in the movie, I thought it applied to our lives: We hold the power to live our lives however we want and it's our responsibility to make it the best we can. After reading it again before writing this post, the devastating situation in Haiti came to mind: We hold the power to provide help to those in need, and we bare the responsibility of making sure we do all that we can to make sure it happens. The power is in our hands and the responsibility is resting on our shoulders. It's kind of like the other quote "With great power comes great responsibility", but this version seems to really take action.

So as you can see, the meaning of this quote can change through time, but that's one of the reasons I like it so much. The interpretation is up to you...you hold the power to make of it what you will and bare the responsibility of living true to  those words. See? There's another one! I just can't help it... So, make a promise to yourself that if you have the power to do something, take on the responsibilities that come along with it.


Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!