Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Family



Hello Optimists,

It's been a while since I've watched The Godfather. But even after having seen all 9 hours and 43 minutes of the saga more times than I'd like to admit, I still love to watch it. I don't know if it's the suspense and action of the plot, the great cast of actors, the great lines like "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli", or the little traditions that all we Italians share, but I don't think I can ever get tired of watching it. And no, my family is not in any way affiliated with the mafia. No one has ever heard that my dad "paints houses", nor has any family conversation ever revolved around someone getting "whacked". Just thought I'd clear that up.

But I started thinking about all of this recently after I read today's featured quote because it's all about family. And though The Godfather's family bond was strong for a few different reasons than what I'm discussing today, I had to resist repeating this quote over and over in my head in my best Don Corleone voice....

Other things may change, but we start and end with the family. -Anthony Brandt

So, all Godfather themes aside, I really like this quote. And it's quite true. Though we may go through many things in our lives, move to different parts of the world, or lose touch for years, the fact remains that in the end, your family is still there. I am lucky enough to have proof of this in my own family. But we don't necessarily have to be talking about just our parents or brothers and sisters here. There are many definitions of family out there, but one I found to be right on was "a person or people related to one and so to be treated with special loyalty". Funny, because right under that definition is a secondary description: "A group of people united in criminal activity". So we may not be straying so far from the Corleone's after all. Anywayyyy... basically, your family can be your parents, best friends, or your neighbors. It doesn't really matter how closely you follow the "traditional" definitions of the word, but what does matter is that you know who you family is and appreciate the bond of loyalty, respect, and love that is shared.

So, take a moment today to remember your family and to realize what an important part they play in your life. I know I certainly will. And, what the heck, if the Godfather's on AMC this week, I might just have to sit down and watch that too.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!