Friday, January 8, 2010

Green Thumb



Hello Optimists,

This is usually about the time of year when I start yearning for signs of spring. And I'll take anything: birds chirping, clear skies, driving with the window open for more than 10 seconds, and preferably not wearing five layers, a ski jacket, hats, gloves, a scarf, and boots. Although if the boots are cute, I can be o.k. with wearing those for a bit longer. Needless to say, I am just not a fan of the cold. In the winter, there are bare trees, no pretty flowers, dirty roads....ugh, I just really don't like any part of it. As I brace for the coldest part of the winter yet, I realize that there is probably still a good 2-3 months left, so I think I'll just have to find a way to bare this.

As I was thinking more about the springtime and all of the pretty flowers that begin to bloom, I was also thinking about how much work we have to put into making them beautiful. They usually don't just bloom on their own; at some point the land needs to be cultivated, the seed needs to be planted, and most importantly, they need water. Without all of this, we won't have much of a flower to look at. I found this to be pretty interesting because I found this quote right as I was thinking about all of this...

You have to water the flowers you want to grow. 


And while this may seem quite obvious, I think we can apply this to more than gardening...and to our lives. We can't just sit around and wait for great things to happen- we need to cultivate our land, plant the seed, and most importantly, water the seeds we want to see transformed. It takes time and patience and sometimes some experimenting, just as gardening does. Unfortunately, we don't come with a little paper tag that lists whether or not we like direct sunlight and a steady water supply....we need to figure that out for ourselves. But fortunately, we don't need to have a green thumb. So once we do figure things out, we need to be ready to help ourselves along the way, to do the things we know can help us reach our goals...basically, we need to water the "flowers" we want to grow. Even though it's still winter and we've got a lot more of this dreaded season left, go find your gardening gloves and watering pail, and start preparing your flowers for the spring bloom.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!