Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Philly's Big Ben



Hello Optimists,

I recently read an article that claims Philly is ranked 5th in the top 10 cities for single women, which is pretty great news- whether or not I believe it is another story. Apparently I have been missing something....but I won't go there. Anyway, All the Single Ladies (insert Beyonce dance here) aside, it did have some great things to say about the city of brotherly love. And though I already know that this is a pretty cool city with lots to offer, reading about it in this article made it seem so much better. One of the best things I like about Philly is the mix between old and new. A few blocks away from the tallest and most modern building in the city, the Comcast Center, is Old City, where you can stroll through the streets where our founding fathers once travelled and walk through the rooms in Independence Hall where "it all began". Pretty cool.

So I thought today I'd feature a quote from a fellow Philadelphian, Ben Franklin. This man is noted for a lot of great things- namely for being one of the founding fathers of America, a politician, inventor, scientist, printer, philosopher, musician, economist...the list goes on and on and on. And Philly is proud to call him one of their own and has given him the recognition he deserves- it's the place where he eternally rests, and his name is carried on through the Franklin Institute Science Museum and the Ben Franklin National Memorial. So with all of this other recognition, I thought he deserved a place on Optimal Optimist. Doesn't exactly carry the clout of the Franklin Institute, but hey, it's something. I think he should be called the Big Ben of Philadelphia, never mind London. So without any further ado, here is today's featured quote:

If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do something worth the writing. -Ben Franklin


A very good one, indeed, and I am quite sure that Ben has lived up to these words. He certainly wrote many things worth reading and many things worth the writing. I guess he really knows what he's talking about, and it's true: If you want to be remembered, the things you do need to be worthy of it. So as you go through your days, remember today's quote try to be like Ben...and if nothing else, maybe your face will end up on a hundred dollar bill...now that wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!