Friday, January 22, 2010

The Real Steeler



Hello Optimists,

Hooray for the weekend! Fridays make me (and probably you too!) very happy, so I thought I would post one of my favorite quotes about finding happiness. It comes from someone who lead a quite successful life and found happiness in many different ways- Andrew Carnegie. He is referred to as the second wealthiest man in history, after John D. Rockefeller, and earned most of his wealth in the steel industry. And you thought Ben Roethlisberger was a real Steeler! Anyway, aside from being known for his fame, he is also highly regarded in philanthropy and education and has founded universities and museums and established many endowments, among many other things.

So I guess we can get right to today's featured quote. It really is one of my all time favorites, and I think you'll soon see why....

If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes. -Andrew Carnegie


Though I have a lot of different quotes about finding happiness, this one in particular stands out. It really shows that happiness comes from within and that by using your own thoughts, energy, and hopes, you can be as happy as you want to be. It's all about challenging yourself to seek the good things in life, things that will make you become even greater than you already are. We set goals all the time- new year's resolutions, personal promises, public pledges....but in completing them, are we making ourselves happy? If not, we need to follow Carnegie's advice. I know this seems like quite a hefty task, but this strong statement really is encouraging and uplifting.

So, start off this weekend with a goal that commands, liberates, and inspires, and see if in the end you've found yourself to be a little happier than when you began. I think Carnegie was really on to something here, and I look forward to finding happiness in my life through these ways. Have a wonderful weekend!

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!