Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Who's Watching?



Hello Optimists,

When you hear the name Yogi Berra, you think of the great game of baseball, the Yankees, and one of the best catchers of all time. I think of all of those things too, but I also think about some of his great "one-liners" that he has also become quite noted for. My dad is a big fan of Yogi, and he even has one of his books that highlights some of his most memorable quotes and stories...like "It ain't over til it's over" or "I never said most of the things I said". I think the title of this book is If You See A Fork in the Road, Take It. Whatever that means.

So obviously some of his most well known quotes don't make much sense, but they are quite funny. And I like to laugh, so I looked through some and found one that I thought was particularly interesting...

You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Ok, I hear ya, This one is quite obvious too! Well that's what I thought upon first glance. And then I thought about it for a moment, and I don't know what it was, but suddenly, I got it. The fact that I understand it could be a good thing or a bad thing...I really haven't decided yet. But maybe you'll get it too. I hope. So just think about it for a second.

We see thousands of different things throughout the day. But are we really watching what's happening? I think it's too easy for us to be distracted by other non-important things than for us to actually watch and observe what's going on in our lives. Sometimes, our eyes are open, but we're not seeing. And this is where Yogi hits the nail on the head. We have to actually open our eyes and watch what is going on in our world in order to truly understand our surroundings. Only then can we begin to observe the beautiful things that surround us each and every day. How often is it that you sit in front of the TV to watch a game, and only until the roar of the crowd do you finally snap out of it and watch what's happening on the screen? Thank goodness for instant replay! It happens to me all the time, and not just in front of the TV, but sometimes just in general. We all just have those "space out" moments, and though we look like we may be in the moment, we're not quite "there".

So while I may not be the biggest supporter of some of Yogi's other quotes, I will hand it to him on this one. Remember that you can observe a lot by just watching...but make sure you're really watching. I bet you'll be amazed at what you can see.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!