Thursday, February 25, 2010

Come Again!


Hello Optimists,

I always think about how super-successful people and businesses got the word out about what they were doing and how that word spread from one person to another. I guess that's why I chose to study marketing! But I think this is something we all think about- How did Facebook and Twitter blow up to be this decade's social media phenomenon? How did McDonald's get their Golden Arches to be instantly recognizable to anyone aged 3 years and up? Why has Starbucks outshined all other coffee companies in the last few years?

Surely it was smart advertising, promotion and good ol' word of mouth. But we're talking world wide success here...not just a business mentioned on the side of our local newspaper. Things like this really interest me. The reason for great success in the business world is a combination of many different factors; it takes a lot of time, money and hard work to be successful and to be recognized in any industry. And if you want to make it on a global scale, the thought of the tasks at hand can be quite overwhelming.

Lucky for us, I found this great quote by someone who has really "made it" on a global scale and has retained that status for many many years. The secret to his success lies in the quote and I think it's a key idea for anyone looking to do something great.

Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends.        -Walt Disney

Now this is the key. But what's important to remember is that this applies to anything we want to do in life....it doesn't just have to be about creating a global brand and theme parks around the world. No matter what it is that we're out to do, we've got to make sure that once people have experienced what we have to offer, they're so inspired by what they've seen that they want to relive that experience and spread the word. (That's why as you're leaving the corner bakery, you see that little sign posted on the door reminding you to Come Again!) And what's just as important is that they tell their friends. I learned in a class one time that people who have a negative experience at a business are likely to tell 7 others about it, as opposed to telling only 3 others of a good experience they've had. So obviously it takes some work to get recognized, but what's important is that people are talking.

I'm hoping to follow Disney's words in my every day life, and definitely while writing this blog. I hope that my words continue to inspire and motivate so that you'll want to keep reading and tell your friends about it. Maybe you are making a promise to yourself to be in a positive mood everyday. It's guaranteed that if you do it well, others will appreciate it, want to see it all the time, and possibly be inspired to do the same and pass it on to their friends. So you may not be scheming up a multi-million dollar business plan in your head, but that's ok. Walt Disney's words are relevant for everyone and should be followed. So it's your turn- go out and do what you do so well that others will want to see it again and bring their friends.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

2 comments:

  1. I like this post.

    I have no marketing background, noting, zip, nada. I can and have sold things in person and can market myself in real life if needed. But with my anxiety issues it is a very exhausting affair.

    One of the things I have struggled with since I started blogging is how do I attract readers and still remain true to my goals and objectives with the blog. I have done some reading about what makes a good blog post, or how you entice readers to come back. I am not sure if I have succeeded in following directions properly or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a lot about marketing blogs too, but what I think is most important is the content that is included. If people like what they read and are interested in the topic, they will come back for more. That's what I try to keep in mind for my blog, and I am trying to rely on my readers and followers to spread the word. As long as what you're writing remains true to your goals, your blog will be a success!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!