Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Half Empty or Half Full?


Hello Optimists,

Are you someone that sees the glass half empty or half full? I would hope that as optimists, you would see it half full- or if not, I would hope that you're working on it. This idiom is one that has been around for a long time and is often used to determine someone's overall attitude toward life or how one views tough situations. It's sometimes hard to always see the glass half full, I will admit, but it's something that we should always strive for.

This phrase came to mind when I saw today's featured quote. The quote itself has an entirely different meaning than the glass phrase, but it uses similar words...hence my connection. However, I think that despite their differing meanings, this quote has an incredibly important message. Here is one time where being "empty" might actually be better than being "full"...

There are none so empty as those that are full of themselves. -Ben Franklin


I suppose Ben was always quite clever with his words, but this one stands out to me because I think it is absolutely true. Being full of yourself does not necessarily make you full of anything else- no special abilities, not intelligence, not even confidence. Now I know that some of you might be thinking that confidence usually goes along with being full of oneself, but that is not necessarily true. Confidence implies a firm belief or trust in something; cockiness implies a definitive self-righteousness that comes whether or not one is truly correct in believing so. The air that is given off by someone that is full of themselves is not very attractive- people usually can pick up on it quickly and are immediately turned off by it. We all know that hidden deep inside of that person that thinks they're "the best" is a part that is empty, a part that is insecure and unsure of how to act...a part that they feel needs to be covered by a hard, outer shell that exudes "confidence" (or what they think is confidence) and authority.

I know it's a fine line to walk- but try to make the clear distinction between being self-assured and being self-indulged. I guarantee that those around you will respect you more and be supportive of all of your efforts if you steer clear of an egotistic and cocky attitude.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post, several months ago I had written something about having a glass is half empty/full mentality. I might throw it up as a seed in Seededbuzz

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!