Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Interview


Hello Optimists,

They say one of the most common interview questions is "What are your weaknesses?"...which I think is bogus because who is really going to be honest about something that could potentially prevent them from getting the job they are interviewing for? And you know that if you give the line of "I am a perfectionist" or "I can't be satisfied until a job is done", they aren't going to believe you. So what's the sense in even asking? Well, despite my opposition to these types of questions, I do think weaknesses are important to recognize. So for this one, I'm siding with the employers.

I think it's important for us to acknowledge our faults or things about us that aren't as "up to par" as we'd like them to be. The only way for us to become better at our jobs, better friends, better in our lives, is to be conscious of what might be holding us back from reaching...dare I say it, perfection. And yes, I do realize perfection is hardly something we should expect from ourselves all the time, but hey, it doesn't hurt to aim high. Anyway, I thought about all of this after I read today's featured quote. I must say that this is one that I find to be right on target and applicable to everyone.

The greatest of all faults, I would say, is to be conscious of none. -Thomas Carlyle


So this guy really knows what he's talking about. This may very well be the greatest of all faults. There is no one out there who is lacking a fault or two... no, not even you. Or me. And if you're thinking that you may be one of the select few blessed with this disposition, I think you just found your "first" fault. But this quote should really be an inspiration and motivation for us to truly acknowledge our being and work on the things that aren't quite at 100% yet. Living your best life (I feel like Oprah saying that!) comes from being able to know yourself- the good things and the bad. In being conscious of what you may consider to be a weakness, you're eliminating another one that could potentially be on your list. So, if nothing else comes from this post, be true to yourself and be true to others, and live each day trying to be the best person that you can be...and maybe now you might have a better idea of what to say when an employer asks that dreaded question.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!