Monday, February 15, 2010

Love For All


Hello Optimists,

I thought since yesterday was Valentine's Day I should feature a quote about love. Can you hear the birds chirping overhead? Thoughts of Nicholas Sparks books floated through my mind and I had the sudden urge to watch The Notebook or Titanic. Then I thought, maybe I'm not the best person to be writing about this since I am flying solo this year. But then I thought about it and realized that love isn't just meant to be shared with only that "one special someone", but should be shared with all of those people and things that are special to us. So though I admit I may have momentarily joined the haters side on this one (V-Day is a sappy "holiday" filled with picky roses and fat-inducing chocolates...Cupid should go shove it), I really do like this holiday. And, in an article I read about the history of Valentine's Day I learned that a lot of others do too; an estimated 1 billion valentine cards are sent out for this holiday....that's a whole lotta lovin'.

So I may have a slightly negative ping in my thoughts about this holiday, but I do whole heartedly support love. Love, like laughter, is common ground between all human beings, it is one of the few things that you can share with others no matter what language you speak, where you live, or what you do for a living. Love is universal, and today's picture really shows that love reaches even the smallest corners of the earth. I searched quite a bit for a quote to feature today...some were too "lovey-dovey" while others were not quite right. But, after a little hard work, I found one that I really like; one that will appeal to everyone, whether you have a valentine or not.

For it was not into my ear that you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. -Judy Garland


This really is a beautiful quote and one that I believe truly captures the essence of love. Besides the whole 'lips you kissed' part, this can be true of anyone or anything we love- it doesn't necessarily have to be about your boyfriend or girlfriend or husband or wife. We should all be looking for love that touches our hearts and our souls, love that enriches our lives. Maybe it's not even another person we love, but a thing in life that makes us smile, that fills up a place inside that we never knew had room to grow, or that fills us with that feeling that words cannot even describe. Now that's true love.

So after all of this, I'm feeling a bit better about this holiday because I realize that love should be shared with all those people and things in our lives that fill our hearts and souls with...well, love. I hope that no matter if you're single, taken, not quite sure, or whatever, you think about today's quote and find the things in your life that make you feel the love in the air.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

P.S. I may just have read the best news ever and I had to post a link to it so you could all enjoy healthy foods that taste goodI thought I would never see an article including ice cream, pizza, and chocolate with this title, but alas, here it is! So go ahead, tear into that heart shaped box of chocolates that's been staring at you since yesterday, and enjoy the sweets from your sweet. 

3 comments:

  1. wow, this is the best V Day post I read so far. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kristin! And thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a lovely post. I absolutely agree that Valentine's day is an opportunity to celebrate love and passion in whatever package it comes in. I applaud your attitude and your blog. I appreciate that you stopped by mine to share your terrific optimism. I shall definitely be coming back for future doses!

    I'm your newest follower!
    :-)
    Traci
    38andgrowing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!