Monday, February 22, 2010

Mark Your Calendar


Hello Optimists,

I just found out that last week was Random Act of Kindness Week... too bad I'm a bit late in finding out, but I think this is one holiday that can be celebrated no matter what the time of year is. I spotted an ad for it in the gym, and after leaving, I knew I had to Google it. Random Act of Kindness Week, huh? Well, as it turns out, I couldn't have stumbled upon a greater find.

This week was sponsored by The Random Act of Kindness Foundation, a not for profit organization and resource for people committed to spreading kindness. According to their mission statement, they set out to "inspire people to practice kindness and 'pass it on' to others". Their website it chalk-full of resources for anyone and everyone to join the movement. It includes lesson plans for teachers, community resources, member's stories, proven health benefits of kindness, and get this, inspirational quotes. As you can probably imagine, I think this is a such a great thing...and I think this is exactly what our world needs.

So in light of my most recent discovery, I just had to feature a quote that I found from the website. One that really captured it's message and the essence of kindness.

Be kind. It's hardly ever the wrong thing to do. 


You know, this is quite true. Being kind is hardly ever the wrong thing to do. You never hear about anyone being "too kind" and I can bet there is not anyone out there who wouldn't like to see others being more friendly, generous and considerate. So even though the official week of celebration is over,  I think we should all celebrate it anyway and do a random act of kindness for someone (and mark your calendars for next year!). If you don't believe me, I encourage you to go on the website and check it out for yourself. You never know what ideas you may get or what stories may inspire you, and I bet you'll leave feeling refreshed and ready to spread some kindness around. You don't have to wait until next February to roll around to celebrate again...it's always the perfect time to celebrate kindness. Let's all join the movement.

Do you have any stories or random acts of kindness to share? Leave me a comment...I'd love to hear them!

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

2 comments:

  1. This was a long time ago, but it is the random act of kindness that has filled me with the most joy. I was living in Phoenix, Arizona. I was 20, going to college, had an infant, and a marriage that was collapsing around my ears.

    I worked in down town Phoenix at an accounting firm. I had run out to Subway to grab a bite to eat for lunch. On little corner in a parking lot near the subway was a little family, a mom with two very young boys. Mom had a sign saying she needed money for food and that they were homeless.

    Without hesitating, I pulled into the parking lot and asked the lady to meet me at the subway. I bought each of her boys and her foot long subway sandwiches.

    My thinking was that if they could not eat the whole sandwich at lunch they would have some left over for supper. We all went back to their little corner, and I sat out there with them in my business suit and had a picnic with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is such a great story and very inspiring! Kudos to you...Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!