Friday, February 19, 2010

The Perfect Toss


Hello Optimists,

It's Friday...and we all know what that means: Pizza night!!!! Well, at least that's how it is in my family anyway. For as long as I can remember, we have always gone out for pizza on Fridays. I think it's a regional thing though, as I don't know of many other people outside of Northeastern Pennsylvania that  follow this rule as religiously as we do. I don't even notice it here in Philadelphia. But you can't blame us, this area is the (self proclaimed) pizza capital of the world- there are literally 10 Italian restaurants with some delicious food and pizza all within a hundred yard strip on the main street. Now it may not really be the pizza capital of the world, but I do know that a bunch of the restaurants ship their pizza all over the nation, so I'd say that calls for some recognition.

Well with all of this thought about the pizza that I crave on a daily basis, I started to think about all of the hard work that must go into it. The rolling of the dough, the careful stirring of the sauce, the grating of the prefect amount of cheese overtop...phew, I'm glad I'm not in those kitchens on a Friday night! Then a pizza quote came to mind - one that was introduced to me by mia mamma, a cook that could give all of those restaurants a run for their money.

Ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around. -Anna Quindlen


I've never really thought about a connection between ideas and pizza dough before...they don't seem like two things that have much in common. But after reading this quote, it really makes sense. Both ideas and pizza dough are meant to be tossed around, but finding the right balance is the key. Toss it too much and you've got an overworked, holey mess- not enough substance to allow it to rise to the perfect thickness and a texture that my dad would describe as "roofing paper". Toss it too little and you're left with a tough, chewy piece whose middle is still raw. Not good. You need to find that delicate balance to make the perfect pie...or idea.

So I know that making the perfect pizza is an art, but so too is the creation and implementation of our ideas. There's a lot of preparation, a lot of different ingredients that go into them, and of course, the perfect toss in the air that makes the final product. Finding that perfect combination is what keeps people coming back for more... so toss wisely.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. Very true! I find that ideas I have "overworked" come out quite boring and not really me when I put them on paper.

    Pizza dough does need work, but it needs more time to rise than it needs time to work. Which is how I treat my better ideas. I come up with them, pretty much write the paper in my head, or put it on paper then wait an hour or so, or sometimes a few days before I actually post it.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!