Friday, February 12, 2010

Silver and Gold


Hello Optimists,

Remember that song well all learned in pre-school "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold..."? Well, I think it's been permanently stuck in my head since I was five years old, and no matter what, I can't get it out. Don't even ask how it popped into my head this time- I don't even know! So after my last unsuccessful attempt to remove that torturing jingle from my head, I realized that maybe it's not such a bad song to have stuck up there. Normally, I find songs that get stuck in my mind to be the ultimate distraction and the biggest annoyance, but for some reason, this one seemed to have a different effect on me. For once, I set aside the jingle and I actually thought about the lyrics behind the music- and what a wonderful message it sends.

I was thinking about it so much that it reminded me of a quote that I once read about friends. There are a lot of great ones out there, and rightfully so, because friends are some of the most important people in our lives. Anyway, the quote I remembered is a really great one and I hope we can all learn something from its message...

Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them. -Francesco Guicciardini 


Ahh bellisimo, Francesco! Despite the fact that part of the reason I like this quote is because the man who spoke it has a really awesome name, the most important part about it is that it does in fact have really great meaning. Prime example of those who could use a lesson from Francesco: high school cliques. And while we can all roll our eyes or shudder at the mere thought of them (or maybe not, if you were "one of them"), we know that only a few select people were in that group...no one else was going in, and no one would dare leave. Though we may not all have been like that or are like that now, it is true that we all have a special group that we associate with. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes we feel too comfortable with these close friends and don't feel the need to branch out, to meet new people, to rekindle a long lost friendship, or to take a chance to make new friends. But we certainly should! Like that song says, "make new friends, but keep the old". I'm not saying to ditch everyone in your current gang and revamp your social scene, but never pass up an opportunity to meet someone new or to welcome someone else into "the group".

Though some of you may be many moons away from your high school days or maybe just a few years out, we all still have those high school tendencies. Just don't let "the clique" be one of them. Invite new people in, go out and mingle with someone you've never met before- you never know what long lasting friendships and memories you may form. It is true that there is nothing so well worth having as friends, so never lose a chance to make them.


Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I've been making new friends in my grad program, and it's been wonderful :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! Glad you liked this post and it's awesome that you're making new friends...it's never too late to do that! Hope grad school is treating you well. Keep working hard and enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that was a girl scout song. Great on it was....

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!