Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We Are The World


Hello Optimists,

This weekend I came across the video for the new remake of We Are the World and I must say, I was very impressed. I read that it was premiered right before the Olympics ceremony, but unfortunately, I missed that, so I was catching up with it online. There are critics out there who say that this new version is nowhere near as good as the original (isn't that always the case) but I disagree. I had never before seen the original, so I decided I would have to see it for myself before I started believing all of the other opinions floating around out there. Now, I must put out a disclaimer because I am no way musically inclined..I don't play any instruments nor can I read sheet music, and my singing is limited to in-car (alone!) only. So to the untrained ear, the new version sounded great!

Both are filled with the big names of music, belting it out like they never have before to raise awareness for the challenges our world is facing. For the original in 1985, it was a project for relief in Africa; today it is a project for relief in Haiti. No doubt, the first version is a wonderful piece filled with the voices of Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, and Diana Ross - just to name a few, along with their big hair and crazy outfits of the '80s. The new version, which included more than 70 artists who did not have a role in the first version, are some of today's biggest stars like Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Will.I.Am and Fergie,  Lil Wayne, and Janet Jackson, who looked eerily identical to her brother Michael in a side-by-side in the video. All criticisms aside, they were both incredibly moving, and what mattered most to me is that I got goosebumps while watching both videos. It just goes to show what great things can come about if we all work together. The power of music is truly amazing, no matter who the big names are or in which decade it was made.

So I thought for today's featured quote I would use a line from the song in hopes that it would be as inspiring to you as it was for me.

"When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all, but if you just believe, there's no way we can fall" -We Are The World


What a truly inspiring song. If you happened to miss the debut of the new version before the Olympics like me, I encourage you to check it out. I have included the links above- one for the original and one for the newest version-so you can compare for yourself. But no matter which version you prefer, there's no doubt that the inspirational words sung by some of the world's greatest artists hits a soft spot in everyone's heart. We need to listen to the lyrics, take them to heart, and offer what we can to help those in need- not only in Haiti, but all those who maybe just need a little help or a little "pick-me-up". It's never too late and there's always an opportunity to help. We are the world.


Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. I have not seen the new version yet. However, I cannot imagine that it is bad at all. It appears to me that the artists they picked for the new version are musical artists for this time period and are relevant for the majority of the people who would be listening to it.

    The older version had artist that were relevant for that time period. The people who listened and probably still listen to it, can relate to it more than they probably can this one.

    I am sure on that level I would prefer to listen to the older version, just because of the musical artists in it. It brings back memories from when I was a young person in that time period. If I remember correctly, that song was very significant song during that time.

    I wonder if the new version will have the same kind of impact.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!