Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Good Habit


Hello Optimists,

I was reading an article yesterday about making optimism a habit. The overall message was to consciously monitor your thoughts, and every time you notice a negative thought floating through your mind, erase it. I know, easier said than done. But our thoughts are the one thing that no one can take away from us, that no one can reject, and we get the opportunity to have them all to ourselves. So why not make the best of them? Instead of letting those negative things take hold of a situation, switch your thoughts to the positive and think of the good things that can come out of it. Practice this until you start thinking like an optimist...

Now, I'm usually one to try to break free of routine, but this is one area that I think we should make a habit of. I think it helps us see things more clearly and it helps to broaden our perspective on things. It certainly takes some work to think like this, but as they say, practice makes perfect.

I came across today's quote a few days ago and thought it would be perfect to feature for today's post. I've come across many great quotes from this person but this one in particular made an impression on me, and I hope it will make an impression on you too.
I am an optimist. It does not seem of too much use to be anything else. -Winston Churchill
I think Sir Winston was quite right. It really isn't worth it to be anything else...think about it: the life of an optimist is pretty great. With all of the crazy things going on in the world, the economic downturn, difficult personal and health issues, and all of the depressing stories we hear on the news, optimists have the mindset to acknowledge these problems while staying positive about all of these situations. We all want to be happy in life, to look at things in a new light and be an inspiration to others. And who better to do this than optimists?

If it's so easy to make a habit out of other things like smoking, biting your nails, talking with your mouth full, or watching TV before bed, why not make a habit out of something you can benefit from...like positive thinking? Seems to me like that's an easy choice, but doing it is where the hard work comes in. Make the choice to be an optimist. I bet you'll be surprised at how differently you view things, and before you know it, you'll agree with Winston Churchill in that it's not of much use to be anything else.


Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist


P.S. Here's the link to the article I read about how to make optimism a habit 

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL post girl! i hope you are doing awesome! i agree-optimism is soo attractive and contagious

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!