Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here's To You, Dr. Seuss


Hello Optimists,

I've written some posts in the past featuring quotes from Dr. Seuss...whether spoken from the man himself or from one of his many entertaining books, they have always been and will continue to be some of my favorite quotes of all time. I will be sure to keep posting my favorites in order to spread his words to as many of my readers as I can- I think you'll be surprised to see how much you can learn from a children's author. Today I will feature one of my favorites in honor of this special day...it is Dr. Seuss's birthday!

I've read his biography which is quite an interesting tale, highlighting his beginnings in Springfield, MA and his studies at Dartmouth and Oxford to his days of cartooning for Life, Vanity Fair, and The Saturday Evening Post. What is most interesting is that his first submission for publication passed through 27 (yes, 27!) publishing companies before being picked up by Vanguard Press. Little did he know that his writing and illustrations in 44 books would go on to be translated into more than 15 different languages with over 200 million copies distributed around the world. Pretty amazing.

So it is with enthusiasm that I use a quote from one of my favorite Seuss books, Oh, The Places You'll Go! to honor the birthday of one of America's greatest authors. Here's to you, Dr. Seuss!
You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
This is so inspiring! This is why I love his books even to this day. I think it's important for us to keep his words in mind...they just have a way of making us smile. It's easy to feel like we're never doing the right thing, like we couldn't putt a golf ball into a hole the size of the moon, or that we'll just never measure up to the others. What's hard is to change your thinking about all of this...but lucky for us, Dr. Seuss has come up with some of the most inspirational and motivational words ever written. And, he's placed them in children's books in order to get the message across as early as possible. But are we listening to them? If not, I think you have a few books to add to your reading list...

So next time you're feeling down and out, dust off a copy of your favorite childhood story from Dr. Seuss and I'm sure it will brighten your day. I know I would reach for Oh, The Places You'll Go!...which would you reach for?

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. LOL The other day I did a post using a Dr. Seuss quote. Funny. I have noticed some similarities in our thinking. I even planted it as a seed.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!