Friday, March 5, 2010

How to Add 7 Years to Your Life


Hello Optimists,

The other day I read an article about the benefits of optimism, and I must say, I was quite excited about the results of the studies- and I think you will be too. So I thought, who better to share it with than my fellow optimists? Well, here's what I found: a study from Yale University revealed that optimism adds seven (yes, seven!) years to your life. That's 2,555 days to add on to your life! We'd give almost anything for just one more day with those we've lost, think about being able to be spend thousands more than that with the ones you love! And a study by Seligman and Buchanan found that optimism can be learned. This is really important; it means anyone can change their thoughts, anyone can be a the face of positivity for others, anyone can be an optimist. Even the pessimists can be optimists, and they too can reap the benefits of this positive force and live longer, healthier lives.

Reading about all of this really made me happy. Since I began this blog back in November, I've always hoped that my words could make a difference in my readers' lives and that what I am writing can be helpful, enlightening and inspirational to at least one person...and now this study is proof that it really can be! We all can be optimists! 

I wanted today's quote to be a reflection of the great things that optimism brings. Though I couldn't find anything more motivational than adding seven years onto someone's life, I did find a good quote about an advantage that optimists carry with them all the time...
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.  -Winston Churchill
So not only will our life expectancies go up by being optimists, but we also have the natural ability and thought pattern to take every challenge placed before us and seize the opportunity within it. We have the knack for taking a tough situation and finding the good in it, for facing an obstacle head on, for finding the hope when all others doubt. We are standing tall and waving the flags reading "Carpe Diem" and encouraging others to look at things in a new light.

So let's join forces and spread the word about optimism. I hope you continue to take the journey with me through this blog and invite others to come along for the ride....what we're doing can really change lives.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

P.S. If you'd like to read more about the studies in today's posts, here are the links to the sources I found:
Benefits of learned optimism article   
Discovery Health article 
The Worry Free Life blog 

15 comments:

  1. Hello there, following from Friday follow! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there.
    Stopping by via Friday Follow to say hello.

    Have a great day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/are-you-happy-i-am-i-got-a-new-iphone/

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower this Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from Friday Follow! Love the blog, will be back for sure :)

    The quote by Churchill is great, btw!! Hope I can add 7 years to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your great blog through Friday Follow. Now following!

    http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday Follow. Hope you'll come check out my blog at http://www.erinamundsen.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting you from Friday Follow....Im your latest follower. Will love for you to visit and follow my blog at www.safehomehappymom.com

    -Blessing @ Safe Home Happy Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning! Happy Friday Follow! I am your newest follower. Come visit me :) and have a great weekend! Shoot me an email if you'd like me to subscribe, twitter or facebook.

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    http://www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here from Friday Follow.. I'm your newest follower...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - following from Friday Follow! I love the subject of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the boost of optimism! Love your blog concept.

    Friday Follower here. I’m making my way through the list and I am now your blog follower.

    ~ Lynn
    http://www.middayescapades.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from a VERY LATE friday follower!

    Following you from...

    Http://bizzimommi.blogspot.com

    Hope you'll stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, this makes me want to be more optimistic. I think as the years have gone by my optimism has waned a bit.

    Found you via Friday Follow and am happily following. Follow me back at http://jotgiveaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! :)
    I found you on "Friday Follow" and am now following you through Google Friend Connect. I look forward to further exploring your blog. Come on over and visit us when you get a chance. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!