Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's My Birthday!


Hello Optimists,

Well, today's a great day for a celebration; it's my birthday! I wish I could still have those big parties where I invite all of my classmates to the roller skating rink and and we play, eat cake and drink soda all night. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be happening this year. And I'm pretty sure no one really wants to wear party hats anymore, though I think it would be pretty funny. But that's fine by me. All I ask for is to spend my day with some great friends and family.

I've been trying to think of the perfect quote to feature for today... something that reminds us (even if we've turned the same age for a few years in a row now) that getting older is nothing to fear. In fact, we should look forward to it. Each new year marks a milestone that we've reached which is a reflection of all the great things we've accomplished and all the new things we've learned. I think it's a cultural thing; we Americans value the "youthful" appearance, energy and styles. Think about how many anti-aging and anti-wrinkle creams are out there, and the large market for Botox and hair dyes. Notice our commercials on television and ads in magazines- they all are headlined by those with a youthful and energetic appeal. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to stay, as Bruce Springsteen would say it, "forever young", but at the same time, we shouldn't be so opposed to aging.

Personally, I think it's a lot more exciting to be turning twenty-something that to be turning twelve because I know that I've done a lot of great things this past year and I have some more things on the radar for the next few years. It's exciting to know that I have something in the future to look forward to. That's why when I found today's quote, I knew it would be perfect to feature for today as it captures my thoughts about marking yet another birthday...
Don't just count your years, make your years count. -George Meredith
So it's not about just counting your years and dreading the thought of adding one more candle to the already crowded cake next year, but more about making that time the best it could be. It's incredible how fast time goes by (ugh, and just by that statement alone you can really tell I'm getting old) so we've got to make sure that we live each day to its fullest. So, whether it's your birthday or not, make a promise to yourself to make sure you're doing all you can to make your days, weeks, months, and years count, because we don't have time for regrets. And don't worry about how many candles are on your cake, just look at it as another opportunity to make a wish for all of the things you want your new year to bring you.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

2 comments:

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!