Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Return to Sender


Hello Optimists,

My mom sent me a few birthday cards last week, yes a few:  one from her, one from both of my parents, one from the dog...and even though they were sent out at the same time, they were delivered to me several days apart. I'd call my mom for our nightly chat and she'd nonchalantly ask if I'd checked my mail, trying her hardest not to reveal that she'd sent me something. After a few days of "I got another card today" she was getting anxious as to where the others could have ended up. "That's why I don't send any money through the mail, you just never know where it could end up" is what I would hear until all of the envelopes were safely in my hands.

Though it is quite frustrating to know that your mail or packages might not have been delivered in a timely manner, we have to give some credit to the postal service. The mail routes may be scattered and unless you get a tracking number, you'll have no idea where your beloved birthday card is en route to its destination- but the fact is, it always gets there. That's because of that little sticky stamp on the right corner of the package; as long as that's there, you're good to go. That mini post-it is like a validated train ticket or a car with an unending supply of gas; once it's sent out, it will get to the place it is supposed to be. Sure it might take some detours, but at some point, it will end up in the hands of whom it belongs. (In my mom's case, it was in the hands of the birthday girl, and was she ever glad when they all arrived!)

Anyway, I found it to be quite ironic when I came across today's quote just a few days after this all happened, and I thought it would be perfect for a post.
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there. -Josh Billings
This is really great advice. We should all be like a postage stamp- we need to concentrate on doing one thing until that job is done. It's pretty easy to get side-tracked with the million other things that are going on in our lives, but we don't want to end up being a lost card. Even if we've got the "wrong address" or we're on the wrong track, the stamp will ensure a safe return to sender. And then we get another chance to reach our destination. We've got to make sure that our stamp is displayed and that we ride out the journey until our recipient happily tears through the envelope to see what's inside. Then, and only then, should our job be done. Keep this in mind the next time you've filled up your to-do list, and remember how important it is to cross every one of those off.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. That is great! I absolutely LOVE your blog and your bio! Very similar to why I started blogging. I am following and will try to stop by everyday because I Love you attitude and what you write! So glad I found your blog! Take care! ~ Coreen
    www.velvetoverswteel.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!