Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thumbing Through


Hello Optimists,

President Obama has been pictured lately with a copy of Theodore Roosevelt's biography in tote and yesterday during a visit to a college in Pennsylvania (yay!) he referred to the book in part of his speech. It turns out that a lot of presidents have turned to Teddy for some advice; Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton, and even G.W. Bush have taken a look back on to the policies and practices of our 26th president.

Well, it seems to me that if some of the greatest leaders of the world have found inspiration from Teddy, we all could probably learn a bit from him too, so I decided to see what all of the fuss was about. Turns out this Nobel Peace Prize winner, conservationist and foreign policy leader did a lot of good for our nation and the world and continues to be an inspiration to this day. I guess I can see why so many are thumbing through the pages of his biography.

I thought it would only be appropriate to feature a quote from him today, and it wasn't hard to find a good one. What was hard was to pick just one from my list of favorites. In the end, I chose one that I hope you will enjoy as much as I did...
Believe that you can and you're halfway there. -Theodore Roosevelt
I hope this was in his biography, because it's great advice. Believing that you can do something is half the battle, and putting that belief to action is what makes it become a reality.  The hardest part about doing something is not the act itself (though it may be quite strenuous) but rather, it is convincing yourself that you can do it. There are so many things I'd like to do and so many new things I'd like to try my hand at, but what's holding me back is not believing that I can be successful at it. Now I realize that just having that confidence alone will bring me so much closer to achieving my goals.

I think I'll have to put his bio on my reading list. But if you're not up for reading a whole book about this man's life, I hope that you can at least take something away from this little piece that you got today. Just remember that believing that you can do whatever it is you want to do is the key to making it happen.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

1 comment:

  1. I love the concept of your blog! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!