Monday, March 8, 2010

When the Stars Come Out


Hello Optimists,

I hope you had a great weekend! Did you watch the Oscars last night? I know I sure did. Awards season is always my favorite; I love to see all the stars looking gorgeous on the red carpet, the endless coverage by E! and the fashion police shows afterward. It's ok, you can admit it, you know you love it too. We all do...when the stars come out, everyone's watching.

It's kind of funny to think about though. All of this hooplah because people in movies are coming together to get awards? Yeah, it's a big deal in the movie biz, but I know there are lesser-known people in this world doing even greater things. So why can't we all be driven around in limos, have our outfits talked about for days and have thousands of people yelling our name and taking our picture on a huge red carpet? Doesn't anyone want a picture of me in my new Gap jeans?? Obviously not. So then, what makes a star a star, and why can't we all be one?

Well, in the midst of my thoughts of "how cool would it be to be famous!?" I came across a quote by probably the biggest star there ever was, and it turns out, she had some good advice to share on this very topic.
Everyone is a star and deserves a chance to shine. -Marilyn Monroe
Well said, Marilyn. As you already know, Marilyn Monroe is the epitome of Hollywood glamour, the face that comes to mind when we think of a "star". But she recognized that being in a movie or on the front page of a magazine is not the only way to be noticed or to really shine. A "star" isn't just defined as someone who walks the red carpet with ease, whose pictures are plastered all over the tabloids, or whose every article of clothing is analyzed down to the last stitch. No, everyone is a star. We all do really great things on a daily basis, and though they are not usually put on the big screen for millions of people to see, they are nonetheless very important. Heck, some of us "non-stars" are the reasons the A-listers are who they are. Where would they be without us common folk, picking out their clothes, doing their hair, picking up the garbage in front of their mansions? What about the doctors that are saving lives every day or the teachers who are helping to educate a future Nobel Prize winner? People around the world may not know our faces in an instant, but what we're doing has an impact. That's why we're all stars. And that's why we all deserve a chance to shine.

Okayyy, so even though I know that if I showed up on the red carpet, the photogs would probably push me over in order to get a good shot of Meryl Streep, at least I still know that I'm a star in my own right. And I hope you can realize that too. We don't need to be wishing we were one of them, because we are one of them. So take it from the "star of the stars", Marilyn Monroe - she really knew what she was talking about. I think it's time for a new generation of "stars" to emerge...watch out, George Clooney, we're comin' after you.

Keep Smiling,
Optimal Optimist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!