Monday, April 12, 2010

Don't Be Fooled

Photo: wright.edu

Hello Optimists,

All of this summer-like weather we've been having is really making me happy. The past few days have been a bit chilly, but I'm thankful for the high temps we got in last week! With summer just on the horizon, I can't help but wonder where the time has gone. I feel like it was just Christmas, and now I'm in flip flops! No complaints here, of course, but sometimes if you just sit back and think about the amazing passing of time, it really stuns you.

So this got me thinking about why these past few months seem to have flown by. Am I just keeping so busy that I haven't noticed myself streaming through the weeks? Have I been so concentrated on my work that I have disregarded all other things? Is it the opposite...have I been lazy lately and just been floating through the days? Did someone make the year only 350 days and not tell me?! Well, probably not that, but I'm not really sure why this is- probably more like a combination of all of those things. All I know is, the pages of my calendar are turning over like a cartoon flip book.

With time flying by at warp speed, I was getting a little scared that I had lost track of the present. And you know how much I like to enjoy the little things of every day life, so was this a signal that I had been missing out on things? Well, I was thinking this might be so until I came across a great little quote that seemed to calm my nerves.
Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of. -Charles Richards
Finding this quote could not have come at a better time. It really gave me a new perspective on things and made me realize that the calendar is just a way to keep track of the days, but the true measure of time is determined by how you make use of them. For me this means living each day to the fullest, whether that be a whirlwind of events or a casual, relaxing day spent doing my favorite things. It's o.k. if time seems to be flying by if you are filling it with things that are progressive and making an improvement on your life. With the exception of a leap year, we have 365 solid days to go through each calendar year, but it's up to us to make use of every single one of them. We can make our years longer or shorter depending on how we choose to live our lives.

So take some time today to think about how you spend your days. And don't be fooled by that calendar...it really is only a way to make sure you don't forget about someone's birthday. Don't forget that we are the ones who determine how many days are in our year.

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. Good Post! This last year has seemed to have flown by for me as well. I have been working so hard every day to have a healthier out look on life that I am sure that is why.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!