Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finding Happiness in Little Ways

Photo: quakeragitator.wordpress.com

Hello Optimists,

I'm not one to sit in front of the TV for hours watching a whole lineup of shows, but I always set aside two hours on Tuesday nights to watch The Biggest Loser. I love that show not only because of the amazing physical transformations we get to witness as the result of healthy eating and exercise, but also for the amazing psychological transformations that the contestants inevitably go through. Oh, and then there's the trainers, Bob and my girl Jillian, who are behind all of this, helping each person along their journey to a better life. The role they play is extremely important and their motivating words and inspirational pep talks always reassure the most doubtful of contestants that their life is worth living.

During the latest episode, Jillian went out to a high school in Texas to speak to some students and got to sit down and talk to one girl whose mental struggle for acceptance reflected her physical struggle. As I watched, I was so inspired by something that Jillian said to her, and I immediately grabbed my laptop to "jot it down" so I wouldn't forget her inspirational words. Now while I normally don't surround myself with those who would scream in my face until I cry, I would welcome a visit from that pint-sized powerhouse anytime. She is not only concerned with getting people healthy physically, but mentally as well, and you know that is something that I am very passionate about. Here's what she had to say:
Happiness comes with the achievement of little goals. -Jillian Michaels
We're always searching for the road to happiness, and most times we think that it comes with suddenly breaking out onto the scene and being recognized on a global scale. Sure, it might come this way, but it's probably more likely to come in small doses...in ways we usually overlook. If we want to be happier, healthier, stronger, and better people, we've got to acknowledge all the small goals that we achieve every day. It really is amazing to think about all of the things we get accomplished in one day, but until we actually think about what we've done, we won't get to appreciate our achievements.

It was quite ironic that yesterday, in the midst of these thoughts flowing through my head, I stumbled upon an article called "5 Paths to Happiness" and one if its tips was "Take small steps. Don't take an all-or-nothing approach to change and sabotage yourself before you start. Decide ahead of time to make small changes, and you will make progress." And with that progress comes the happiness that Jillian was talking about.

So starting today, pay attention to all of the little goals that you achieve... I bet you'll notice how much happier you are throughout the day, and how much more confidence you have going forth towards achieving some of your bigger goals. Remember to take one step at a time and be aware of what a positive difference you're making in your life, and even in the lives of others.

Keep Smiling,





Take a few minutes to read 5 Paths to Happiness 

and don't forget...my first giveaway ends this Saturday! 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! So happy I have a few minutes to catch up on all your inspiration!

    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!