Monday, April 19, 2010

How You Can Make A Difference Today (And Always)

Photo: langwiches.org

Hello Optimists,

Today is the start of Earth Week! Time to get in the "green" state of mind and say thank you to Mother Earth. In honor of this green holiday, I am going to gear all of my posts this week around this theme through the featured quote, facts about sustainability, and a discussion on how we can make a difference. Going green is a new trend that seems to be sweeping across the nation and the world as people are now concentrating on sustainability. I think it's so great that we are becoming conscious of the decisions we're making in terms of their impact on the environment and the effect they have on the future.

So do you take an active part in sustainable practices, or do you think a carbon footprint is something you can make only if you wear lead-soled shoes? I find that there are some people that are very good about recycling, buying food from local farmers, composting, conserving water, etc. On the other hand, I know some people who think their contribution to the "green" movement is too small to be measured, so why bother? I know it seems like our small changes of habit wouldn't even make an ounce of difference on the global scale, but in reality, every little bit helps. In fact, energy saved from recycling one aluminum can could operate a TV or computer for three hours and a six-pack saves enough energy to drive a car five miles. Or how about the fact that Americans throw away enough paper and wood annually to heat 500 homes for 200 years. Take that, non-recyclers. 

So we've got to stop thinking on an individual scale and look at the big picture...think of what an impact we can all make if we commit to doing something great! In thinking about all of this, I came across a really awesome quote that seemed to address exactly what I am trying to say, so I knew I had to post it along with today's theme.


Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. -William James


Well, there you have it, in black and white. I love quotes like this...just plain and simple, but very true nonetheless. We've got to start believing that everything we do in life makes a difference, and I'm not just talking about sustainability. This applies to every aspect of our lives: at work, volunteering, in school...never should we think that our impact is too small to be measured. We can all make a difference in the world if we just believe that our influence is significant.

So try thinking of the big picture today and act as if what you do makes a difference. I know you will find that it really will have an impact in some way and you will feel empowered from your contribution.
Before you sign off today, I have one more thing for you....

Check this out: In Honor of Earth Week there are a lot of great specials going on to celebrate like FREE reusable bags from Target, discounts at Dairy Queen and lots more!! I read a great blog called Kelly's Lucky You that has featured all of the great "green" deals of the week and I thought I'd share it with all of you...check it out!

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. Good Post, I am looking forward to the follow ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a 'how to' on making inexpensive and green cleaners for your home. I don't know if you would like to check it out, but just in case, here's the link!:
    http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/A/Home_Life_Archives/Entries/2010/4/13_The_Difference_Between_Man_%26_Wife_and_Windows_2.html

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!