Thursday, April 8, 2010

Life's Questions: Answered.

Photo: Flickr (Striatic)
Hello Optimists,

I often wish there was someone or something that would just give me the answers to all of my questions about life. Wouldn't that be great? I think we all would like to have a few things straightened out, a few of our questions answered, and have a steady plan of action set in place for us. But it really doesn't work out that way, and I think part of that is the fun of living. But there are just so many questions we all have about what's going to happen in this life. I mean, how do we know that we won't regret what we're doing now once we're older...or how do we know if what we're doing now will bring us great success? Without answers to any of these questions, how do we know that anything we're doing at the moment is going to be worthwhile?

Of course, no one has the answers to these questions. But I think it's up to us to make sure that we try our best to predict the answers and make use of our days by trying to get as close as we can to making those answers a reality. I know, this is kind of complicated. But life is all about figuring things out, and we only have one shot, so I think we better get to it!

As I sat pondering all of these questions, I happened to come across a quote that is probably the best advice I could have found. It is the closest thing to finding the "answer" to the questions I had been thinking about, and I knew that I had to share this wonderful bit of advice with all of you...
Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then, youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success. –Louisa May Alcott  
This is such a great quote...one of my favorites I think! This is exactly the thing I needed to hear, and it summed up a whole lot of great advice in just a few words. A delightful youth, few regrets in old age, and a beautifully successful life sounds wonderful...just what I hope to have! So let's think about all of this for a second here.

First we have: regular hours of work and play. This is SO important, because usually people do a lot of work and have no time to play. Finding that perfect balance is a luxury only some of us have, but it's something we should all try to incorporate in our lives. Okayyyy, so you're job is really important and you "have" to put in a lot of hours. Well it's just as important to squeeze in some extra hours of fun as well...I bet you'll find that your life will be very different (in a good way!) and so will your work.

Next up: make each day both useful and pleasant. Again, so so so important, and I think this ties into the first bit of advice we just discussed. While we may be busy with the thousands of things we do in a day, we need to make sure that what we're doing is progressive for our lives and that we are happy to be doing what we're doing. Useful and pleasant...that's the key.

And lastly we have: Prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. I just posted about the topic of time this week, so I guess my ideas were on the right track. But it's important that we really understand the worth of time...once it's gone, it's gone, so we need to make the most of our minutes while we can. And the only way to do that is to "employ it well".

I hope you found this quote as helpful as I did and I hope you can keep it in mind. The ideas in this little quote are really important for all of us to understand....and once we do, I think our lives can be really great. So store this one away in your memory, and refer to the words of advice as often as you can.

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! Speaks perfectly to my Order "let each part of your business hav it's time" virtue which I'm working on over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!