Friday, April 9, 2010

My New Favorite Website

Photo: Roadhouse Realty
Hello Optimists,

Let the weekend begin! I don't know why, but this week seemed realllllly long. I thought Friday would never come, but here it is, thank goodness. Besides all of the work that I will be doing this week, I will for sure be checking out more stories on my new favorite website, Tonic. I found out about it thanks to my girl Ellen DeGeneres after she mentioned it in a tweet yesterday, and I am so glad I checked it out. I didn't quite know what it was about at first, but a quick look at their About Us page told me all I needed to know. The opening lines were, "Tonic is a digital media company dedicated to promoting the good that happens around the world each day. We share the stories of people and organizations that are making a difference by inspiring good in themselves and others." After reading through the rest of this page and then browsing through the site, I was amazed at the great things they're doing and the similarities between the objectives of their company and the goals of my blog. Quite a good match, might I say. 

They're certainly doing a great job of promoting the good that happens around the world by sharing stories about people who are really making a difference. They even have a "Shop" section where each product sold contributes to an organization making a positive difference in the world. I won't ruin all the fun for you by talking all about it here, so you should definitely check out the website for yourself and get inspired. 


Since this site is all about bringing the great things people are doing around the world, it got me thinking about how we can all make a difference. In the stories I read, the people who were making an impact were just "average Joes", not peace ambassadors or representatives from the UN (though they do some pretty good things too). They were just average people, finding a need, and making the decision to create a positive change. So who are these people, and where does all of this "goodness" come from?

Well, it just so happens that I have a wonderful quote that answers this question. It is from one of my favorite inspirational books, A New Earth. I've written about it before in my Let the Sun In post, but there is one more line from that book that has stuck in my mind, and I thought it would be the perfect quote to feature today.
You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge. -A New Earth
I love this line. All of those that are featured on the Tonic website have found the goodness within themselves, allowed it to emerge, and are doing great things. By allowing that goodness to flow from within, it can pour out of our hearts and into the hearts of others who will be inspired by the inspirational things we are doing. We're always trying to do the right thing, trying to be like that person we know who always does "good" things. But often, we fail to realize that we should look no further than ourselves to find the goodness that lies within our hearts. Keep this quote in mind and remember that we can all do good things. Check out the Tonic website to get inspired today.

Keep Smiling,
P.S. Not sure where to start? Check out my post about The Random Act of Kindness Foundation to learn more about what you can do today.

10 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check that website out. I am always looking for places where I can get some good positive inspiration.

    I really liked that quote. It really gave me something to think about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday Follow!

    www.justtryingtosavemoney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you via Friday Follow, have a great day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you through Friday Follows. I love Ellen and will have to go check out that site. I am tired of hearing all the bad news and some good news would be nice!
    Stop by and visit me when you have a chance!
    http://herroyaljoaness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great website, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm your newest follower from FF. Can't wait to read more, stop by my blog sometime! Happy FF!

    -K
    http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. I am following you from Friday Follow. I hope you follow me back. Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi..I’m Barb from Fri. Follow. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for participating in Friday Follow. Rita @ One 2 Try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a new follower of friendly Friday follow, please follow me back. For every follower that joins I will be releasing a Unicorn back into the wilds of the New Jersey boardwalk. So please do your part by joining and saving these special creatures. Thanks
    Thanks, Mr. Monkey

    http://laughingmonkeystick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!