Monday, April 26, 2010

Steps to Awakening the Joy in Your Life

Photo: weblo.com


Hello Optimists,


I hope you all enjoyed the weekend! I'm always looking for great articles to read about optimism and positivity, and I happened to stumble upon a great article during my rainy Sunday called "Awakening Joy". The article discussed an "experiment" turned into a 10-month class (and now a book!) that was out to discover whether joy is a privilege of happiness or whether someone can learn to create joy and happiness in their life. Basically, it was all about positive thinking, which is something I love to learn about. 


One piece of the article gave a few pointers on how to change your way of thinking into a positive state of mind, and I found these suggestions to be quite helpful. So, here the are:



  • write what the word "joy" means to you

  • do some form of physical movement, such as yoga, dance, or walking, a few times a week

  • make a "nourishment list" of activities you enjoy, checking off those you do regularly and circling the ones that could be done more often

  • check in with your "joy buddy," a kind of running partner in the pursuit of happiness


  • I think these are really easy ways to incorporate joy into our lives. They're quick and easy, but I think they are often overlooked as ways to cultivate happiness. I mean, who really thinks about writing personal definition of joy or making a list of all of the things that make them happy? Probably not many, but it would only take a few minutes to do and would be a way of acknowledging all of the things in life that make our life worth living. No need to take out our Hello Kitty stationery to jot all of this down on; simply making a mental not of all of the things that enhance our life is a good place to start. Even identifying a person who shares our passion for living life to the fullest may be someone that we should try to associate with more.


    So in addition to the four suggestions for finding happiness that I found in the article, I did remember one more suggestion I had read once that I think should be added to that list...
    Express yourself in positive ways. 
    This, like the others, is something that is really simple to do and also often overlooked. How we express ourselves is not only an indicator of our personality and lifestyle to others, but also to ourselves. If we want to be happy, successful, and living "the good life", it all starts with thinking positively and acting in the light that will lead us to great things. How we express ourselves has a direct link to the joy and happiness we will be able to find in our lives. This is definitely something to think about.

    If you'd like to check out the article I read about "Awakening Joy" just follow this link. What things do you do to awaken joy in your life? What other things would you add to this list?


    **Don't forget to enter my first giveaway to win some great eco-friendly products from CSNstores.com! It is running from now until Saturday, May 1st at 10 pm (EST).

    Keep Smiling,

    1 comment:

    1. Awesome post :-). I awaken joy in my life by writing down the things I am grateful for each night. It helps me to stay focused on the positives!

      ReplyDelete

    Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!