Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Time Is of The Essence

Photo: Beyond the Rhetoric

Hello Optimists,

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people saying, "There's just not enough time in the day" as they run around frantically trying to complete their list of tasks for the day. And there are times when I completely agree; it seems like I've just started my day and before I know it, it's time to turn in for the night. I hate the feeling of not getting things accomplished and the feeling of having too much on my plate because I didn't get it all done the day before like I was supposed to. So this got me thinking: has this always been a problem, or is the fact that people these days are constantly too busy a recent 21st century thing? Do we expect too much from ourselves and others or have we just become increasingly bad at time management?

Well personally, I think it's a bit of a combination of both. I do think that we expect too much; we all think we're superheroes. But the bad thing is that we're not. And I also think that we're becoming increasingly bad at time management. My class was once told in school that the excuse of "I didn't have enough time to finish" is not a valid excuse, and we should learn to better manage our time. I think this topic is certainly up for debate, but it is for certain that people wish for longer days all the time. I came across a quote that seemed to be a no-fuss answer to my questioning, and I thought it would be perfect to feature today.

Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.   -H. Jackson Brown, Fr.

This quote kind of helps me keep things in perspective. I mean, we really can't argue with this...we do have the same amount of time that these great people before us did, and they managed just fine. I think what's important to take from all of this is that it doesn't matter how many things you can get done in one day. What does matter is the value of the time you spend doing things throughout the day. If Michaelangelo was worried about completing the Sistine Chapel, the statue of David and the dome of St. Peter's Basilica all in one year's time, I'm sure he would have gone crazy and would also have pleaded for more hours in the day. But he didn't. He took the work that was handed to him and made sure to take his time and work his magic. What resulted are some of the most famous works of art in history.

I think we need to keep in mind that the greatest people in history had no more or less time to spend on the things that they devoted their lives to. They didn't take "5 Hour Energy" shots or drink caffeine like water, because they knew that value comes from quality not quantity. So don't say you don't have enough time. You weren't cheated by the time gods and given only 18 hours in the day, nor was anyone else. We are all in the same boat here, and though I realize some of us lead more...how shall I put this... leisurely lives than others while some of us are working our butts off, we have to learn to make the most of our minutes here. We can't keep trying to conquer the world in five hours, nor should we expect to. Instead, we should concentrate on enjoying the time we spend doing the things we need to do. Not only will we have time to actually enjoy it, but I bet we'll see that our work is much more improved.

Try it out today: make the most of your time by giving your best quality work...and if your list of things to do is a little longer than you'd like, just remember that the work will eventually get done. There are enough hours in the day....we just need to learn to use them properly.

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Great Advice. Thanks for sharing!

    I have a linky party going on where you can enter a post about anything you want to share with others. I would love it if you entered this one!

    Its at http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/talk-about-it-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!