Thursday, May 13, 2010

Define: Success

Photo: bcfirm.com

Hello Optimists,

I was eating lunch yesterday with some friends and overheard a conversation that was going on at the table behind me. And no, I wasn't eavesdropping, they were just not using their "inside voices". Anyway, the ladies sitting at the table were (I assume) getting ready to graduate from college and were talking about their plans for the summer. I only heard bits and pieces of their conversation, but the one thing I must have heard a hundred times from all of them was "I just want to be successful".

I think that's something we all want; success makes us proud of ourselves and it also gives us the confidence to go out and try new things. Some aim to be successful in school, others at their jobs, or even at home raising a family...we all have our own definition of success. But no matter what determines our accomplishments, success is something that we all strive for. So this got me thinking about success and what it means to me. Sure, I'd like to be successful in my job and make some money to support a decent lifestyle, but I think success can be measured more than just by the amount you take home on your paycheck or the title below your name on a fancy business card. I found a quote that offers a great definition of success that shows that we can measure our accomplishments in many other ways than what we generally associate the term with.
Success is having those who know me best love and respect me the most. -Unknown
This is so important to keep in mind. Our top priorities in life may be our careers or our educations which we use to kick-start our "corporate" success, and we may have a contact list full of big names that hold some clout in the industry, but we have to remember that they are not the only people in our lives that determine our success. Those who know us best need to be the ones that love and respect us the most. This should probably be our first and primary definition of success. Once we have accomplished this, we can be sure to be successful in all other parts of our lives as well.

So what is your definition of success? Do you agree with this quote, or do you have a different idea of how to measure our accomplishments?

Keep Smiling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!