Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Don't Judge A Person By Their 'Happy Place'

Photo: tcgnh.net

Hello Optimists,

I read an interesting post yesterday called "How to Find Your 'Happy Place'" and at first, I wasn't really sure what to expect. Happy place? Is this like a secret bunk in your backyard you can only enter with a special password? Is it a purely emotional thing? Or is it an actual place that makes you feel...well, happy?

I guess it can be all three of those things, but for this post in particular, in was an actual place that the author calls "a little piece of heaven". And after reading through the story, I could definitely see why. Her "happy place" was a space off the beaten path where she could find tranquility, peace, quiet and just enjoy the moment. This place made her feel happy.

This sounds like a great place to be. I'm sure we would all like to have that one spot where we know we can go to just relax, to chill out, to just take a moment and breathe. I'm not sure if I have my "happy place" established...at least not like the one described in that post. But I think a happy place doesn't have to be hidden in the woods or off limits to the general public. I think it can be any place where we go to feel safe, secure, relaxed, and peaceful in our surroundings. Sure, it can be in our backyard somewhere under the shade of the trees, or it can be out on the shore of a lake, or maybe even just in our bedroom. Heck, it can even be in the laundry room if that's the one place we know we can find some tranquility- but I doubt many people would find their laundry room very comforting.

Basically, the point I'm trying to make here is that happiness comes in many different forms for everyone. This also means that one person's happy place may be very different from another person's, but the feeling of happiness they get could very well be equal. I found a quote that really sums up what I'm trying to say, and after reading that post, I knew it would be perfect to feature today.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. -H. Jackson Browne
So I guess that just as we can't judge a book by its cover, we can't judge a person by their happy place either. This quote is a good one to keep in mind because I find that often people frown upon ways of doing things or ideas that are different from their own. People are very different. We know that. And we need to be open to accepting new ways of doing things, including paving a road to happiness. What brings a smile to your face may not bring a smile to your neighbor's, but that doesn't mean they're crazy. It's just another example of the diversity in our world.

Do you have a "happy place" where you can find peace, tranquility, or happiness? I would love to hear about it, so please leave your comments below! I bet we can bring this quote to life and see all of the different roads to happiness!

Don't forget: The advanced copy of "Delivering Happiness" is the newest giveaway here on Optimal Optimist. Entry will be closed this Friday, so enter now!

Keep Smiling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!