Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother Love

Photo: localharvest.org

Hello Optimists,

Happy Friday! This weekend is very special...it's Mother's Day weekend! I can remember Mother's
Day from years past, creating hand made cards in elementary school and making "coupons" for cleaning up my room or helping to cook dinner (which I am sure my mom would love to cash in today!). It was always such a special holiday, one that allows us to show just how much someone can mean to us - and even to this day, I feel like it is one of the most important holidays we can celebrate.

My mother and I have an incredibly strong bond, and always have, and for that I am so grateful. I call home almost every night and talk with my mom (and dad, of course!), and I always feel better afterward. Sometimes we have loads of things to fill each other in on, while other times, the conversation is dull and the only sound to listen to is the calm exhale of our breathing. But no matter what our conversation is like, I always hang up feeling better than ever.

It's amazing to think about all of the things we have learned from our moms over the years. Whether it be learning to tie our shoes, drive a car, or maybe even learning how to throw a right hook, each little lesson we learn from our moms gives us an incredible amount of confidence and feeling of empowerment. And all of that comes from the love that we share. I found the perfect quote that explains just how much of an impact a mother's love has on our lives...
Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. -Marion C. Garretty
I know that without the encouragement and confidence that my mom has given me, I wouldn't have had the courage to do half of the things that I have accomplished in my life so far. She really does make me feel like I can do anything, and always supports my efforts in whatever I am doing. Mother love is a very strong thing, and it really does make a great difference on anyone who is lucky enough to be touched by it.

We all have someone to honor on Mother's Day, whether it is our own mom, a woman who we can consider our "second mom", a step-mother, or maybe just someone who has shown us great care and compassion throughout our lifetime. So though this weekend is officially the time when we honor our mothers, let us not forget the incredibly important part that they play in our lives all throughout the year.

So Optimists, what does Mother's Day mean to you? Do you have any special stories to share about Mother love?

If you'd like to read about the history of Mother's Day, check out this website that tracks the holiday way back to ancient times!

Keep Smiling,

1 comment:

  1. Now that I am a mother my thoughts about Mother's Day focus on how I can be the best mommy to my girl. I love what you have said about your mom and I only hope my daughter feels the same way about me when she is your age!. Your mom did/does a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!