Thursday, May 6, 2010

Quote Collectors

Photo: historicalfamousquotes.com

Hello Optimists,

As you may have noticed, I love to collect quotes. They're really powerful and have the ability to change our moods and perspective on things very quickly; some are inspirational, some are humorous, and some just set things straight in our mind. I've always found that reading quotes and keeping a collection of my favorites is a way for me to organize my thoughts and I try as hard as I can to live by the inspirational words that I read. Of course, this is where I got the idea for this blog, and I have found that many others share my passion for the same reasons.

It just so happened that I came across a great article yesterday called "5 Reasons to Collect Favorite Quotes" and it highlighted some of the benefits that I have been able to experience so far while writing my posts. I am a firm believer that your thoughts have a direct reflection on your actions and behaviors, and by concentrating on improving your thoughts, you can improve your life and increase your level of happiness. The article sited these main reasons as the benefits of collecting quotes:
1. Instantly transform your mood
2. Get to know new authors
3. Distill insights and communicate them effectively
4. Be known and know other people better
5. Get a different perspective
These are pretty great reasons, and I can tell you first hand that I have experienced all of these since the start of Optimal Optimist.
I remembered a great quote I once read that seemed to be a perfect explanation on the way I view the positive effect quotes have on us...
The more you focus on words that uplift you, the more you embody the ideas contained in those words. -Oprah Winfrey
 Ah, leave it to Oprah to come up with the most perfect words! I couldn't agree with this quote more, and I think it is so important for us all to understand what she had to say here. We need to focus on the words that uplift us, not the words that bring us down, the activities that make us unhappy or the thoughts that hold us back from living life to the fullest. Once we can accomplish that, these words and ideas will naturally become part of our life. We start to go through our days thinking about the words that inspire us, reacting to situations in a more positive manner, and feeling the inspiration and motivation fill up inside of us. I have noticed these things in myself as a result of collecting and writing about the quotes I feature here on this blog...and I hope you have too since you've started reading it. It's amazing how influential quotes can be on us, and if we take the time to really implement them into our lives, they truly can make a difference.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this...are you a quote collector? Do you feel that words really have the power to change your way of life? In reading any of the featured quotes here on this blog, have you tried to implement them into your daily life?

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm a quote collector :-). I have my own journal in which I write down quotes I love. In fact, the quotes your write about are part of what attracted me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I'm more of a quote pusher - I share a lot of quotes but rarely collect them. Great idea, maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I wouldn't classify myself as a quote collector, I definitely believe in the power of positive quotes to uplift us. I get a jolt of inspiration from a good quote, so I really enjoy reading them.

    While it is common advice to surround yourself with the right people, maybe it is just as important to surround yourself with the right words.

    In both cases, I want to be around ones that help make me the person I'm trying to become.

    Thanks for the post!

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. This speaks directly to my favorite quote and life philosophy.

    "You become what you think about." Earl Nightingale

    So great to keep an arsenal of good things to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!