Friday, May 28, 2010

SATC 2: Was This One Manolo Too Many?

Photo: stylebakery.com

Hello Optimists,

Did you join the swarms of cosmo-drinking fans this Wednesday night for the midnight premier of Sex and The City 2? I will admit that while I wasn't one of those lucky ladies waiting in line for the big show, I sure wish I was. I've been a fan of the show for a long time, and I shamelessly watch reruns of it like it's my job. And if there's a marathon on TV, forget it....my day is shot- I will be in front of the TV until it's all over. It's kind of amazing to see what a great impact they've had on the lives of women across the nation. For whatever reason, we feel like we can relate with the four best friends who live fabulous lives on the streets of Manhattan, get all the gorgeous men, buy incredibly chic clothing from Bergdorf Goodman and Manolo Blahnik shoes, and manage to stay in perfectly good shape despite the fact that they eat every meal out at a restaurant. Well no matter how different real people's lives may be from Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha's, the women of the world can hear the tune of the theme song from miles away, and will stop at nothing to find the source, call their girlfriends, and sip on a cosmo while watching the episode that's playing.

It was sad when the series came to an end, and then when word got out that the the fabulous four would be getting back in their Manolos for a reunion on the big screen...well, that was like the greatest news ever. The movie was a big hit too, and of course, I own it on DVD. Then talks of the second movie came up, and up until this week, there has been a lot of hype. A lot. So the big question is, was this too much of a good thing...was this one Manolo too many? I've read a few reviews online (but only a few, I have this fear of reading too much about it and spoiling it on myself) and I heard from one of my friends who went to see it the other night. And to my disappointment, I haven't heard too many great things about it. I'll have to judge for myself...I'm still going to see it!

But it got me thinking about some of the things we could have learned from SATC besides the fact that an oven can conveniently double as a closet. I would say that the show has displayed such a wonderful representation of the bond of friendship and the power of independence, and I think most women would agree. This is probably what has drawn us to befriend the characters for all of these years and has made the series such a success. There are a lot of great lines that I can remember from the show and the first movie, but there is one quote in particular that I really like. So in honor of the premier of SATC 2, I thought I would feature it for today's post. (Feel free to insert your best Carrie Bradshaw voice here)
As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a girl may find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up, and just keep going. - Carrie Bradshaw
 Oh, Carrie. I feel like I could be her right now, typing away on my Mac....though unfortunately I'm not in an apartment on E. 73rd St. Anyway, this is some pretty good advice. I bet we've all felt a little lost at one point or another...unsure of what to do or in which direction our lives were heading. Though no one really likes this feeling, we can't wrack our brains with the "coulda, shoulda, wouldas" and live in the past, we've got to move on to see what the future has in store for us. And you know what? Carrie's right...sometimes, we've gotta just buckle up and keep on going.

So, all of you SATC fans, what have you learned from the show/movies? And if you've already watched the new movie, I'd love to hear your opinion!!!

Keep Smiling,

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this movie!!! My two sisters and I went to the first movie together, and we're going to see the second one together too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post :) xx
    http://citygirldiariesec1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!